Winter Hobbies anybody ?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Does anybody have a hobby that they enjoy doing when the dreaded white stuff comes ?

Apart from waking up, having one or three cups of strong coffee, getting out at sun rise to shovel all the snow from the pathways, get in, have a hot cup of tea, watch a little television, go to bed, and do it all again the next day, I don't have a winter hobby!

As I said in another thread today, I'd love to have an old Lawn Mower I could restore in the shed on those snowy days, but I don't :frown:

Hmm...

I'll maybe find a winter hobby, but we'll have to wait and see...

Yours ?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anybody have a hobby that they enjoy doing when the dreaded white stuff comes ?

Apart from waking up, having one or three cups of strong coffee, getting out at sun rise to shovel all the snow from the pathways, get in, have a hot cup of tea, watch a little television, go to bed, and do it all again the next day, I don't have a winter hobby!

As I said in another thread today, I'd love to have an old Lawn Mower I could restore in the shed on those snowy days, but I don't :frown:

Hmm...

I'll maybe find a winter hobby, but we'll have to wait and see...

Yours ?

Do you have CraigsList or something like that in Scotland? If you look in whatever local advertising you have for people who are selling old mowers, I'm sure you'll find something -- and it won't take too long if you're not too picky.

:laughing: Mowers that don't run generally don't command high resale values so it's not an expensive hobby. :laughing:

It's a lot of fun. Some people here in the states even make money fixing them up and selling them.

:thumbsup: You can take photos and post them here. :thumbsup:

How about getting a non-working snow blower on the cheap and fixing it up? That way you wouldn't have to wait for spring to use it.

fastback

Threads
I have a couple of different things I do in the winter. I have a complete woodworking shop where I have built most of my furniture including our bedroom set. In addition, I also have a small machine shop where I make parts for the tractors etc. Lastly, I have a shop where I work on my antique car
(66 Mustang Fastback) and tractors. All of my work places are heated either with wood stoves and the newest (not complete at the present) will most likely be electric.

As far as I am concerned it is important to have places to work and things to do.

Paul

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a couple of different things I do in the winter. I have a complete woodworking shop where I have built most of my furniture including our bedroom set. In addition, I also have a small machine shop where I make parts for the tractors etc. Lastly, I have a shop where I work on my antique car
(66 Mustang Fastback) and tractors. All of my work places are heated either with wood stoves and the newest (not complete at the present) will most likely be electric.

As far as I am concerned it is important to have places to work and things to do.

Paul

That sounds like a great setup. Here in the South, one can get away with using a non-heated space but there are a few days every year when I wish I had heat.

Walleteater1

Threads
From an estate I picked up a vintage arcade game machine that doesn't work. I'll give it a try on getting it to work on some of those dreary days.

Threads
Usually tinker in the shop with mowers, power equipment, etc..

Duffer72

Threads
Model trains and woodworking when it's too cold to play golf.

Oddball

Threads
My winter hobby this year I think will be to finish cleaning out the basement. When my dad died a few years ago I inherited all his stuff. So there's all my tools and junk in the basement along with all his tools and junk, and some of it is just trash that my wife wouldn't let me throw away without going through it first to see if there was anything we could donate rather than throw away. After several years of her not getting around to it I've finally said enough is enough, its all going in the trash.