Will this blade make my mower go kaboom?

superkaz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last season, I purchased a new Craftsman front wheel drive, electric start B&S 700 series 22 inch push mower. Its been quite disappointing. As the season is just starting, I wanted to replace the original blade, which did a lot more blowing dirt from the underneath of the mower than cutting grass. I just happened into AutoZone the other day and found two 22 inch MaxPower blades on clearance of a design that I used to prefer much more on my old Craftsman than the straight-ish blade currently on the new one. It kind of has the handle bar mustache profile if that makes sense. Only problem is, it has a round mounting hole, where the shaft of the mower is the 5-star key. The diameters seem pretty much the same, and the new blade comes with an assortment of washers that I think would make the blade stay on well enough, I just didnt know if there would be balance issues or any other reason to not use it.

Additionally, does anyone know where I could buy a 22" keyed blade other than sears? In the first year, the belt and transmission tensioner have also worn out, so I'm a little ticked at Sears at the moment, and would prefer not to give them my money.

superkaz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any ideas? Sorry for the shameless self bump...I was just hoping to get the grass cut this weekend :)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would not use a blade which I must put an insert in. Most repair shops can get you a replacement blade from MTD, Stens, or Oregon for your unit, if you don't want to go to Sears, which I understand.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
NAPA has a good selcition of blades. That is where I buy most of mine.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would not use a blade which I must put an insert in. Most repair shops can get you a replacement blade from MTD, Stens, or Oregon for your unit, if you don't want to go to Sears, which I understand.

Just curious, why not?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At a dealer that i worked at in the 90's we sold Red Tip blades. Had a customer who had a off brand mower where we had to use these blades, because we could not get the OEM. Twice we found the insert cracked when we did the spring tune-up. After the second time, we would not put another blade on and stopped selling them. That's when I made the decision that I would not use them on any thing I work on. Just won't take the chance. Just me.

superkaz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Perhaps Im not clear either. The star stamp (positive boss) appears to be stamped into the end of the output shaft. I hope my use of the word "key" wasnt confusing. Or maybe Im consused :laughing: So I guess I should rephrase my question, even though the answer may be the same. If the diameter of the round hole of the new (and yet uninstalled) mower blade is a close match to the key boss of the output shaft, and that is the only means with which to secure the blade, and even though an assortment of provided washers would appear to snugly secure the blade to the otherwise Bossed shaft, is it stil dangerous/inappropriate to use the new circular mount blade?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Guess I still don't understand and can't picture in my old mind what you have. That being said I still recommend an OEM blade.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The round hole in the blade is made to fit around the star. Should have very little to no play it should come with a beveled washer meaning the center is not even with the out side of the washer.

Or go to Home Depot and get high lift blade with the dang star. Or as has been said go to NAPA for all your mower parts so much cheaper than sears or a dealer

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
found the insert cracked ,

Frist of all I guess I just don't understand what is meant by insert? Is this a spacer to make a large hole smaller?
Just why did they crack, poor design or material? If it is what I think you are talking about just where could the
insert go after being cracked? Isn't it encased between the bolt and blade? Like I say I buy my blades from NAPA and they fit without a insert. These blades with the inserts must be a universal sold at the hardware in a bubble wrap. I have one hanging on my wall for about the last 10 years or so which I just never had a use for.