Will an early 80's Briggs run with 50 psi?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cannot say that I ever tapped on a valve before.....

74eldo

Threads
Actually taking a compression test can help.
1st) a dry test.
2nd) add two squirts of oil in spark plug hole & re-test. Compression will be higher, but if it is very much higher, then valves are not the only issue. Aluminum sleeve blocks do wear easier.

What happens to the valves is they beat themselves deeper into their seats, reducing & /or elimintaing the necessary valve lash clearance, so compression drops. Fix is to remove one valve at a time & grind off a few thou as your situation needs (off the stem head) & replace & check for correct lash spec, w/ feeler gauge. This may take a couple times or so, but go easy, easier to remove a bit more, than to wish you could add some back.

My vintage MTD has a B&S L-head on it, & it still cuts decent with only 50 psi compression. Although mine is slated for replacement this season.
Great, I am getting some good direction from everyone. Thank you!! I am enjoying my new part time hobby too. cheers!!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Great, I am getting some good direction from everyone. Thank you!! I am enjoying my new part time hobby too. cheers!!!
Put up some pics and videos, especially of it starting and running.

74eldo

Threads
Put up some pics and videos, especially of it starting and running.
Will do, just gotta wait until I can get her outside. Looking forward to some warm days to git rid of this snow...

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
In the 60s today here in Ky!!

I cannot wait!!!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some engines have compression releases/exhaust dumps to make cranking easier. These will skew a compression reading.

It should crank and run on 50lbs. Probably not make any great power/torque. It's an old Briggs. Sucker might run on 5lbs.

slomo

74eldo

Threads
Some engines have compression releases/exhaust dumps to make cranking easier. These will skew a compression reading.

It should crank and run on 50lbs. Probably not make any great power/torque. It's an old Briggs. Sucker might run on 5lbs.

slomo
I got a chuckle at the 5lbs remark, thanks. Yea I guess if it isn't broken don't fix it. Looking forward to some weather where I can get her fired up, I may run a couple of tanks of sea foam through her and take it from there. cheers!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
5 lbs would be very interesting.
Atmospheric pressure is 14 psi ( approx ) so at 5 it had become a vacuum pump, or we have entered the " Twilight Zone " ( cue creepy music )

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
5 lbs would be very interesting.
Atmospheric pressure is 14 psi ( approx ) so at 5 it had become a vacuum pump, or we have entered the " Twilight Zone " ( cue creepy music )
It was a joke Bert. I meant the old motors are hard to kill. Kill meaning stop running. Stop meaning zero revolutions per minute.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Aussies do get USA humour, but the reverse rarely seems to happen ( que creepy music )