Why are there not grease fittings on the front wheel spindles?

JGGMC

Active Member
Why are there not grease fittings on the front wheel spindles? I have Tiger Cat 2 I bought this year.
 
I read those bearings are sealed. I can't confirm this, but I see many & they have no zerk in their wheels either.
 
I have a Tiger Cat II, there are spots for grease fittings but they have blank plugs in the holes, never have figured that one out.

There are tapered bearing in there.
 
Why are there not grease fittings on the front wheel spindles? I have Tiger Cat 2 I bought this year.

We bought a used Scag at a campground, and like your's no zerk fittings, but it did have plugs, in holes drilled where a zerk could have been installed.. but if the bearings are indeed sealed?? Bob's your Uncle! LOL
 
Check page 32 of the tiger Cat II manual.
The spindle bearings are not sealed but there is a separate seal below the lower bearing and the cap on the upper.
There are two reasons why there are plugs installed and not grease fittings. 1. Some operators bump the front into objects and can break off the grease fittings. 2. Grease guns are capable of putting out high pressures, so to prevent the cap from being blown off, Scag recommends removing the cap, removing the plug and installing a grease fitting and pumping grease until it is noticed at the upper bearing. Then reinstall the cap, remove the grease fitting and reinstall the plug. Some operators leave the grease fitting installed and this is OK to a point as long as the cap is removed before greasing the spindle and reinstalled after.
Some operators have drilled a small hole in the cap to allow the air to vent and grease to show and leave the grease fittings installed to reduce the time spent during a 200-500 hour lube.
I have noticed that some of the flat free front wheels do not have a grease fitting, not sure what type of bearing they have in them as there are several different suppliers of these wheels. The pneumatic tire wheels have two straight roller bearings which although frequently greased, can still get corroded and run rough.
The spindles on Scags are setup so there is some turning drag on the spindles, this improves their tracking during machine operation.
 
Toro have the same set up on the Californian compliant mowers.
The general export has normal grease nipples.
The assumption is EPA regulations about grease escaping into the enviroment.

The Californian models have no nipples on the deck or spindles but the export models have them also.
 
Toro have the same set up on the Californian compliant mowers.
The general export has normal grease nipples.
The assumption is EPA regulations about grease escaping into the enviroment.

The Californian models have no nipples on the deck or spindles but the export models have them also.

Nothing in California is worth beans anyway.
 
On my tigercat I just removed the threaded insert and put in a grease fitting. It took 2 minutes to do. I greased it 7 pumps. I know there is grease in it now
 
Back
Top