Which oil do you use?

lewb

Threads
New to forum. I am a snowmobiler and 2 stroke oil is big deal and much debate amounst us sledders. I have been using snowmobile in my lawn boy since I bought it new in 95. I have been using Blue Marble since 2002 in a 4.75 sliver. As stated in above post my son forgot to or check gas before he mowed and siezed the piston. It did unstick by itself and I did use it on a cool day with no problems after the incident. However on a warm day it did lock up again. Looks like the bottom ring was stuck causing too much friction on cyclinder wall. I tore motor apart and all the needle bearing show no signs of excessive heat as well as the crank. I attribute that to the oil I have been using. Another reason I like the Blue Marble is that it does not smoke as bad as other oils. There are several oils that do not smoke manily synthetic which blue marble is not. I did pick up a 6.5 dura force which has the muffler on the side instead of in the deck all the more reason for a smokeless oil.

Anyway I am curious if most use the LB oil or any kind they find at walmart? At 32 to 1 any oil is going to do the job as noted by how many 70's era mowers still running. A LB teck told me not to run any less than 32 to 1 as that mix helps cool motor even though with the synthetic oils of today you could get away with 50 to 1.

impalass

Threads
New to forum. I am a snowmobiler and 2 stroke oil is big deal and much debate amounst us sledders. I have been using snowmobile in my lawn boy since I bought it new in 95. I have been using Blue Marble since 2002 in a 4.75 sliver. As stated in above post my son forgot to or check gas before he mowed and siezed the piston. It did unstick by itself and I did use it on a cool day with no problems after the incident. However on a warm day it did lock up again. Looks like the bottom ring was stuck causing too much friction on cyclinder wall. I tore motor apart and all the needle bearing show no signs of excessive heat as well as the crank. I attribute that to the oil I have been using. Another reason I like the Blue Marble is that it does not smoke as bad as other oils. There are several oils that do not smoke manily synthetic which blue marble is not. I did pick up a 6.5 dura force which has the muffler on the side instead of in the deck all the more reason for a smokeless oil.

Anyway I am curious if most use the LB oil or any kind they find at walmart? At 32 to 1 any oil is going to do the job as noted by how many 70's era mowers still running. A LB teck told me not to run any less than 32 to 1 as that mix helps cool motor even though with the synthetic oils of today you could get away with 50 to 1.

I use Poulan 2 stroke synthetic oil 40 to 1 at a ratio of 36 to 1.
Only one size of rings for a lawn boy engine as they are expandable and the top ring on a F engine has a bevel on the the top side of the ring so that the compression forces the ring outward. when you install the rings the end gap should be at least 30 degrees apart and away from the exhaust ports.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Use Amsoil 100 to 1. I even use it in my old 1973 Artic Cat snowmobile at a 100 to 1 and never had any problems.

WhyZed

Threads
I use a mix of oils :cool:

I mix 75% Castor 927 to 25% Amsoil Dominator.

The Castor is the bestest smelling oil EVER!!!!, and the Dominator has high detergents and is the perfect colour (red) so that there is never ever a question if this gas can or that is of mixed gas/oil.

I've found 40:1 is a perfect mix of bottom end lubrication and Castor aroma :cloud9:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use a mix of oils :cool:

I mix 75% Castor 927 to 25% Amsoil Dominator.

The Castor is the bestest smelling oil EVER!!!!, and the Dominator has high detergents and is the perfect colour (red) so that there is never ever a question if this gas can or that is of mixed gas/oil.

I've found 40:1 is a perfect mix of bottom end lubrication and Castor aroma :cloud9:

Do you mean to write "Castor"? I don't think that's a brand down here in the USA. Maybe it's a Canadian brand.

I use Poulan two cycle oil at 50:1. I've done it that way for a few years. No problems over many hours of use. I might add that I use the same mixture in my Stihl chainsaws and they're much more expensive than the LB mowers.

WhyZed

Threads
Do you mean to write "Castor"? I don't think that's a brand down here in the USA. Maybe it's a Canadian brand.

Castor is correct.

We ride two stroke dirtbikes and put nothing but the best into them..
Yamaha ZY250
Yamaha YZ125
Kawi KX100

P6060001+-+Castor.jpg

Cheaper to buy in 5 gallon pails.

P6060002+Castor.jpg

When I fire-up any of my 2 strokes it smells like we are at the races :cool:

Fireman 123

Threads
Hey move that jug and let us see that old commercial brick top behind it.

WhyZed

Threads
Hey move that jug and let us see that old commercial brick top behind it.

Now that is a great idea!,
Funny thing is,,,, I literally just got it running :cool2: and running sweeet - first pull!!! :banana:
Super sad thing is,,, then something really really bad happened :ashamed:

I'll start a new thread 'tomorrow', don't wanna hijack this one :cool:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Castor is correct.

We ride two stroke dirtbikes and put nothing but the best into them..
Yamaha ZY250
Yamaha YZ125
Kawi KX100

View attachment 14791

Cheaper to buy in 5 gallon pails.

View attachment 14792

When I fire-up any of my 2 strokes it smells like we are at the races :cool:

Yeah, I don't think we have that brand down here. We do have two-stroke dirt bikes. :cool:

I have a Bultaco Matador (250cc) that needs an engine mount welded.