Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy?

Blade Runner

Threads
Can the Snapper L200 "shift on the fly"? .....That Snapper looks good.

Jimmyjo

Threads
Can the Snapper L200 "shift on the fly"? .....That Snapper looks good.

>The L200 Snapper has the same hydro as the Simplicity does except it just works better. It's not hampered by having to pull the mower deck around on some small rollers. It just works far better for me than the Simplicity. For the last two years I've replaced the 22inch lawn tires with Carlise knobby tires. It now can mow my front ditchs and mound septic system without any traction problems at all. The Simplicity is a great machine for a flat smooth yard. I don't have flat smooth except for about a half acre around the house that my wife wants mulched and that what the Simplicity is used for.

canlis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anybody know anything about Columbia lawn tractors and how reliable/durable they are?

possum

Threads
They are MTD lawn tractors.

canlis

Forum Newbie
Threads
How does anyone feel about the reliability/durability of Toro lawn tractors? The new ones come with Kohler Courage engines.

Ganall

Threads
I would get a Cubcadet rzt42

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have worked for dealer for the last 25 years who sell Toro, so I am biased, but Toro has a reputation of having good tractors. I personally feel that when they switched to having MTD build them, they took a step down in overall quality, but I still recommend them over most other models.

canlis

Forum Newbie
Threads
My price range for a new lawn tractor is $1500-$2000. So far I have looked at the John Deere D130(22hp), Husqvarna YTH23v48(23hp), Snapper LT2342(23 hp),Snapper LT2446(24hp),Snapper SPX2042(20hp), Snapper SPX2246(22hp), Snapper RER12.5hp/28"cut, Toro LX423(20hp),Toro LX427(20hp) and Toro LX468(22hp). Have you or anyone else had any experience with either of these brands/models? Based on some research for the sake of convenience, I believe I should concentrate on a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. However,in terms of engine choices, which is better( Briggs&Stratton Professional Series preferably with V-twin cylinders or a KOHLER Courage)? I was told by a technician that the D100 series John Deeres were designed to last only 4-5 years and if I wanted to get the durability of my old 8hp Snapper RER, I would have to step up to the X300 series which start at $3000. I found that hard to believe and will not pay $3000 for a tractor. In looking at reviews of the other brands, there have been major concerns by consumers with all of them such as transmission/engine, electrical,poor customer support from the manufacturer/retailer to name a few. Therefore, I am confused in which brand/model I should buy given their current costs. Please, if you or anyone else has suggestions, I would truly appreciate your help.

In talking with a landscaper who has been in the mowing business for over 30 years, it is his opinion that a Zero-Turn Riding Mower would offer more durability/reliability than the current generation of lawn tractors. He said I should look for a Zero-Turn that is for homeowner use and not the commercial version because that would be too expensive. I know that both Snapper and Simplicity offer entry-level models in the $2500-$2700 range and other brands must have something as well in this range. Please offer your feedback regarding these Zero-Turns. Thanks for your help!