Which Lawn Tractor is the best to buy?

canlis

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have owned a Snapper 8hp rear engine rider mower for 28 years and it finally went bad on me. I am currently shopping around for a new lawn tractor to mow 3/4 acre yard which is primarily all flat. Thus far I have looked at entry-level Snappers, John Deere,and Husquvarna. However, in reading some user reviews, it appears that these brands have had a number of reliability and durability problems ranging from engine,transmission,belt breakage/slippage,poor deck welding, and poor manufacture support. I understand that Toro is now produced by MTD instead of wheelhorse and as a result quality has suffered. Can someone suggest a brand to buy because it seems that all of the above have some issues. I need your help. I initially was thinking that maybe I should stick with the Snapper products but it appears that now they are owned by Briggs and Stratton, they too have suffered from poor quality .Thank you!

txzrider

Threads
how did it fail... 28 years of use? It sounds like that was the best one you could buy. Repowering those old rer riders is really popular these days. I can't believe none of the cub cadet or JD folks have left any comments yet. I got 15 years out of my snapper before I gave up and bought my new mower. In some ways I really miss my old Snapper Zrider, in particular the floating front end, which I think is just like your RER . apparently if I had bought the next version up on my Country Clipper it would have had something similiar. All that being said... there is something too the elegant simplicity that the old Snapper RER design is. so far I am really pleased with the Briggs and Stratton on my new mower, It has a much better designed air filter arrangement and runs great. As far as what you need... what is your price range? ZT's cost much more than entry level riders but in my case it was well worth the investment. If you dont have any challenges as far as navigating your lawn (I had a 36 inch gate to get through) and you take care of your mower... I bet most of the name brands would still give you many years of service. After 15 years of mowing and towing stuff with my Snapper the hydros worked as well as on the 1st day. So I am a big fan of hydros and also of electric pto's to start the blades. I replaced my deck belt after 12 years on the snapper but I did not have to!

canlis

Forum Newbie
Threads
My price range for a new lawn tractor is $1500-$2000. So far I have looked at the John Deere D130(22hp), Husqvarna YTH23v48(23hp), Snapper LT2342(23 hp),Snapper LT2446(24hp),Snapper SPX2042(20hp), Snapper SPX2246(22hp), Snapper RER12.5hp/28"cut, Toro LX423(20hp),Toro LX427(20hp) and Toro LX468(22hp). Have you or anyone else had any experience with either of these brands/models? Based on some research for the sake of convenience, I believe I should concentrate on a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission. However,in terms of engine choices, which is better( Briggs&Stratton Professional Series preferably with V-twin cylinders or a KOHLER Courage)? I was told by a technician that the D100 series John Deeres were designed to last only 4-5 years and if I wanted to get the durability of my old 8hp Snapper RER, I would have to step up to the X300 series which start at $3000. I found that hard to believe and will not pay $3000 for a tractor. In looking at reviews of the other brands, there have been major concerns by consumers with all of them such as transmission/engine, electrical,poor customer support from the manufacturer/retailer to name a few. Therefore, I am confused in which brand/model I should buy given their current costs. Please, if you or anyone else has suggestions, I would truly appreciate your help.

txzrider

Threads
Now that you have given much more detail... I expect you will get some more comments, I am constantly amazed how much experience these guys have on this forum. I had thought I was going to buy the toro SS4260 (zt with 42 inch deck and kawasaki eng) and then found this country clipper that I bought. It had a B&S 20hp ELS, but with a much improved (vs anything I had owned before) air filter system. I did not want the Briggs after I had read similiar things to what I am sure you read. But so far so good. It is a single and I thought I wanted a twin but honestly it seems more than capable and I plan to follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual religiously. In my case I found my mower used on Craigslist with only 27 hours for $2300. (saved $900 vs buying last years model new and prob closer to $1500 if I had bought this years model) I really wants a zt with an easy to maintain deck and this one slides out from under the mower with one hand. So I gambled on the briggs, only time will tell.

jimrs

Threads
With your price range you have limited yourself to a regular homeowners model. I know that they are not as well built as your old one, but what is anymore. I have not heard that toro is now built by MTD who told you that? I got tired of the tractor type and bought a new ZTurn and like it a lot. They do have some disadvantages like towing stuff but it works for me. I have also a 2001 John Deere 110 cheap tractor that still runs and mows but I wanted a new mower so the toro. I don't know what to tell you about your selection above but hope you find what you want and it holds up.

txzrider

Threads
jim which engine does your toro have?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes Toro tractors are now manufactured by MTD. So are many of the other major brands. The one piece of advice I would add, STAY AWAY FROM THE KOHLER COURAGE. Personal experience in the shop is I have seen way to many of these engines lately.

canlis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which other brands are owned by MTD and what has been their reliability and durability history. Thanks for the info.

Blade Runner

Threads
As far as riding mowers, I only used Snapper rear engine riders for over 30 years (since I was 12). My own, recently blew the engine. I always liked the look of the front engine riders, but I did not like the complex electricals, thin guage metal alloys, less grease zerts, less user friendly frame that can not be stretched out if my belts get worn, complex transmission that I can not fix with a simple disk/pulley change like my Snapper , 2 or 3 blades as opposed to a single 33 inch blade that cutts the grass like a rug and most of all, I hated having to stop to shift and then get whiplash:biggrin:

With a limited budget to get an emergency mower until I rebuild my Snapper (which could take me several years since my Poulan Pro is so nice), I knew I wanted a Briggs single cyclinder engine, heaviest guage, real steel deck I could afford and shifting without stopping. Found out that Husqvarna makes Poulan Pros (supposely, Husqvarna, Poulan Pro and Craftsman are all made in same factory now?) . Although a lower priced rider (approx. $1500 new), the Poulan Pro has a real steel heavy guage deck and they use Briggs engines in some models (some Brands have decks that have thin curved rail type metal connecting the lower part of the deck at the discharge opening, including some higher end Poulan Pros, but the Poulan Pro 300 ex has more metal at the deck discharge opening for a sturdier deck).

A month ago, I found a guy who was moving. He had a Poulan Pro 300 ex that he said was a year old (I think it was 2 years old). It still had tire "hairs" in the middle of tires and I could tell it had been used very little. It has a nice and simple Briggs 18.5hp single cyclinder engine with a deck as tough or tougher than my Snapper's Hi Vac deck. I bought it at a VERY good price. The black looks good, but I still prefer Snapper red.:biggrin: But, it does not have shifting on the fly. As far as the shifting goes, a member on this site, "midnite rider" gave a me a technique for shifting (throttling down before releasing the clutch and no whiplash) that makes it fun to drive.

Now I have lights (I even added tail lights) and like cutting the grass at night when its cool, I have a steering WHEEL which I like better than the steering bars, a wider cut (I like the 42" for putting in the back of trucks), it has more power than the Snapper and can pull me up inclines easily and can pull a cart full of bricks. I even added a cool front brush guard and wax it like our vehicles:biggrin:

Coming from a long time use of a Snapper rear engine rider and knowing what I know now about front engine riders, I would keep my Poulan Pro. But, If I had not experienced my Poulan Pro and the help from this site and I wanted to spend $2000, I would get the new Snapper rear engine rider with the 17.5 hp engine or a Snapper front engine rider or a front engine rider with a heavy guage real steel deck, Briggs single cyclinder engine, and shifting on the fly (if that does not wear down the transmission) and also allows blades to be engages while in reverse .

Last edited:

Jimmyjo

Threads
I have had a Snapper L200 for the last three years (20/44) and really like the tractor. It's the very same tractor as the Simplicity Regent snd the same 44inch deck but Suspended wirh four wheels instead of free floating with rear rollers like the Simplicity. I also have a Simplicity Regent 22/44 but my favorate is the Snapper. Every now and then theres some dealer that has these left over and most are under 2K. there not built like years ago models but there a nice step up from the box store models out there. Both of mine have Briggs two cylinders ELS 20HP in the Snapper and ELS22HP in the Simplicity. I have about 150hrs on each with no Problems. A local dealer here in Wisconsin has a new Simplicity Regent 22/44 in Craigs today for $2300. That don't seem bad for that tractor. 020.jpg

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 18