Where would the world be without the USA?

ccheatha

Threads
Until some government idiot lets loose the world's nuclear weapons then no one will ever need to worry again as we all be gone and may be even the planet.
So tell me: where were nuclear weapons created?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Who's?

If you're trying to place blame on the USA for the creation of nuclear weapons, you'd be right for the USA furnishing the place and funding for mostly-European scientists to finish the work they had already started.

That genie was going to get out of the bottle one way or another, whether the USA participated or not. The science behind fission and fusion isn't, relatively speaking, all that complicated.

ccheatha

Threads
In the USA but only because the German scientists defected before Hitler could get the bomb.
So in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter where we'd be without the USA, correct?

ccheatha

Threads
Who's?

If you're trying to place blame on the USA for the creation of nuclear weapons, you'd be right for the USA furnishing the place and funding for mostly-European scientists to finish the work they had already started.

That genie was going to get out of the bottle one way or another, whether the USA participated or not. The science behind fission and fusion isn't, relatively speaking, all that complicated.
What do you mean, who's? Who's doesn't matter. My point (pertaining to the original question) was that since the first nuclear weapon was created/tested here in the US and its first use was by the US, for the original question, does it matter where we'd be without the USA; that's only given @StarTech mention of it. So am I trying to place blame on the USA for the creation of it? No. Maybe I'm wrong in assuming that StarTech was implying that if not for the USA, some other country would have already obliterated the world with the use of nuclear weapons.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I have a feeling the threat of the U.S having nuclear weapons, as well as Israel possibly having them is keeping China & Russia wary.... although China also has us about right where they want us...

ccheatha

Threads
I have a feeling the threat of the U.S having nuclear weapons, as well as Israel possibly having them is keeping China & Russia wary.... although China also has us about right where they want us...
Are you thinking one of them would have obliterated the world if the U.S. wasn't around? I guess we're just a mix of the world's peoples anyway, but still maybe you'd be right if that's what you were thinking.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Are you thinking one of them would have obliterated the world if the U.S. wasn't around? I guess we're just a mix of the world's peoples anyway, but still maybe you'd be right if that's what you were thinking.
I don't think they would obliterate it, but one country would have complete and total control of all the others...

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
What do you mean, who's? Who's doesn't matter. My point (pertaining to the original question) was that since the first nuclear weapon was created/tested here in the US and its first use was by the US, for the original question, does it matter where we'd be without the USA; that's only given @StarTech mention of it. So am I trying to place blame on the USA for the creation of it? No. Maybe I'm wrong in assuming that StarTech was implying that if not for the USA, some other country would have already obliterated the world with the use of nuclear weapons.
Where were nuclear weapons created? In the minds of men, mostly non-Americans.

United States
Russia
England
France
China
Israel
India
Pakistan
North Korea
and soon, Iran

It is not as if the USA created something that otherwise would never have been invented, because most of the people on that list created their own nuclear weapons programs without any help from the USA.

ccheatha

Threads
Where were nuclear weapons created? In the minds of men, mostly non-Americans.

United States
Russia
England
France
China
Israel
India
Pakistan
North Korea
and soon, Iran

It is not as if the USA created something that otherwise would never have been invented, because most of the people on that list created their own nuclear weapons programs without any help from the USA.
So the first nuclear weapon was tested in New Mexico, no? And the first actual use of a nuclear weapon was by the USA, no? Many things are created without any help from the USA - at least not directly. How much technology is stolen from other countries every year. Not that we don't do the same :) Again, I was trying to piece together StarTech's line of thinking. How things may have played out if the USA did not take the steps it did in WWII, we'll never know. I tend to agree with you though that SOMEONE would have created these weapons anyway, but it also tends to lend itself to the thought that in the grand scheme of things, the world might not be too terribly different without the USA. Just between you and me, I'm freakin happy there is one! :D