When to do first oil change on SS5060 - Now or spring?

wbw

Threads
  • / When to do first oil change on SS5060 - Now or spring?
I've now got 7.5 hours on my new SS 5060. I'll probably do another two cuts this season and then the machine will sit until spring. I could change the oil now, or I could wait til spring and this oil will have about 9.5 hours on it. Would it be beneficial to wait until spring to put fresh oil in, or let it sit all winter with the new oil in it? The mower will be in my unheated garage (but warmer than outside) for the winter. What do you think? Thanks.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would most definately change the oil and filter. No point in letting it sit around with dirty oil especially break in period oil

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree change the oil now. Run the mower for 30 or so mins and park it for the winter.
And do not forget to put out some mice Repellant so they don't build a nest in the engine bay and chew the wires.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I always recommend changing oil at the beginning of the service season. Unless the oil is way over due in changing intervals or you are using an off brand oil, it will contain plenty coating additives (parafin) to protect your unit during an extended down time. Changing the oil and filter properly at the beginning of the season insures that all contaminants are being removed and also forces you to give your unit a good checkover before putting it into service. Most people say "I changed the oil last _____" and never really give their unit a good look, just add gas and go to work.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with the previous posts, change it now before it is put to sleep for winter.. Then run it to get the fresh oil well circulated..

The book does not mention changing the oil filter too.. But I wouldn't change any oil with out replacing the oil filter as well.. Cheap insurance.

Battery could use some charging over the winter as well, especially with having the hour meter. I use tiny .750 mA 'smart chargers'.