Wheelhorse 12 hp fuel/oil problem

JGardener

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Toro sat for 3 mos. during summer; Filled the tank and replaced battery. When I went to add oil I noticed moisture on the stick. Syphoned out almost two cups of liquied which I could only imagine to be gasoline or winter fuel additive. It now starts reluctantly but won't run. What's happening?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am guessing what you are saying is that the engine is starting but wouldn't keep running? Two thing come to mine is bad key switch or dirty carburetor.

JGardener

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am guessing what you are saying is that the engine is starting but wouldn't keep running? Two thing come to mine is bad key switch or dirty carburetor.

Thanks. I'm leaning toward a bad carburetor, BUT I just realized that there is oil on the floor where the mower was stored. hummmm. Fuel filter was clean. Adjusting the idle made no difference.

What am I looking for in the starting switch? Loose wire? How do i check the switch?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would first check the carburetor. Remove it and clean it. Very easy job on that model. The key switch would have to have a internal short inside the switch.

JGardener

Forum Newbie
Threads
Guys,

You're right. It's the carburetor. I love this old girl (14 years old) and am sure glad the forum is here. Haven't seen ANYTHING I'd want to replace her with. The rear leaf catcher is great. Back in service!

Thanks a lot.

I would first check the carburetor. Remove it and clean it. Very easy job on that model. The key switch would have to have a internal short inside the switch.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes I have one myself. I also have a lot of Wheel Horses come into my shop for repairs and the reason is there is a big dealer in my town. The old 12 HP Kohler Magnum was a well built engine which they used, Not only was the wheel horse well built it was a easy tractor to work on. Too bad they quit making them.

Scagman01a

Threads
Pull the hose from the fuel pump to the carb and try to start with the spark plug out. The gas should pump out at a pretty good rate. If not replace the fuel pump. If it does pull the carb, get a rebuild kit and rebuild the carb.