What's your experience with Kubota?

JasonB

Threads
Yeah Kubota does have a Strong Name in tractors and Diesel engines, very reliable overall. I have had a chance to run a few Kubota B7500's and BX2200's as well I tested a Kubota GR2100 with the full time 4X4, nice mower but really wish Kubota would offer a twin touch foot petal design like Deere & others are starting to offer. Tilt steering, like my Deere X744 would also have been nice on the GR2100. I know these are little things, but would like to see Kubota redesign the foot petal design, a little uncomfortable from running a few different Kubota mowers.

They do have a very reputable Diesel engine! I did demo a Kubota F3560 with 72" deck a few yrs back that had 4,100hrs on it and still sounded like it was brand new! Very impressive.

Take Care Jason B

adan

Threads
Thanks JasonB. Yeah, Kubota has that reputation here in Asia. The thing is, it appears that they sell mowers only in developed countries. I have contacted Kubota Philippines and they told me they don't sell the lawn mower I was looking for. They offered me a slasher drawn by a tractor.

JasonB, I presume diesel vibrates more than gas-powered mowers. Does this bother you in lawn mowing? Or is my presumption wrong? Please enlighten me.

JasonB

Threads
Thanks JasonB. Yeah, Kubota has that reputation here in Asia. The thing is, it appears that they sell mowers only in developed countries. I have contacted Kubota Philippines and they told me they don't sell the lawn mower I was looking for. They offered me a slasher drawn by a tractor.

JasonB, I presume diesel vibrates more than gas-powered mowers. Does this bother you in lawn mowing? Or is my presumption wrong? Please enlighten me.

I have ran both Deere mowers with Yanmar Diesels & Kubotas with Kubota Diesels and both engines were very smooth runing. However when at idle the Diesel engines will rattle a little bit but at full power they are very smooth running and fuel efficant. The new Diesels are much cleaner then Diesels in the past because of tight emission regulations, which I am sure is to continue in the future.

Gas mowers are smooth running as well, but I would never go back to a Gas engine that is carburated,, If I were to go to another gas mower, it would be Electronic Fuel injected mower, much easier to start then a gas mower that was carburated.

Diesels are also more fuel efficant as well and Diesel prices are cheaper then gas ( at least in my area) and at $1.09 Canadian a litre for gasoline you can go through a lot of gas in a rider. I have since switched to Diesel mowers and on average I am filling up at 0.95-97 cent's a litre for Diesel, plus I am not going through as much fuel either vs gas. Then again I am cutting grass commerically as well, but if your just doing your own lawn, a gas mower would be more economical, unless you got a big property and can justify the Diesel.

Take Care Jason B

zman007007

Forum Newbie
Threads
The hydro pedal on my older Kubota has nothing to do with throttle actuation, it only controls the direction in which you want to go. The throttle is still controlled by a lever on the right side of the steering wheel. It also serves as the engine shut down cutting the fuel off to the engine when pulled all the way towards you. zman :thumbsup:

VicB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to this forum I now see that Kubota is the brand that I'll most likely explore further. It's locally available and there are a lot of freelance mechanics who are familiar with the brand.

What's your experience with Kubota? What are its strengths and weaknesses?

Owned a 3cyl diesel G1800 4WS lawn tractor since 1994. Great machine and built to last. Mine has 3500+ hours and only now needing some extensive attention. Must point out that this is probably due to my neighbour mowing both my property and his whilst I was absent for 2 and a bit years. He turned out to be mechanically clueless - never greased anything - never changed oils and over inflated tyres, did not clean the deck properly after use - couldn't even clean the air filter and radiator screen etc.

Moral of the story: don't let anyone else use your equipment!

The only negative (from an Australian point of view) is the exhorbitant pricing of parts here and the restricting of free trade between countires on parts and accessories. Need to find a good 'gray marketeer' or 'aftermarket' seller willing to ship internationally.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should be able to find almost any expendable part on eBay ... :smile:KennyV

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I haven't owned either one, but I've looked at quite a fewof the CUTs. I've never liked the feel of the single rocker pedal for the hydrostatic transmission either, used to the twin pedal like JD uses, having used a few smaller Deeres. Overall I see it as kind of a Ford vs Chevy type of thing. Each has its plusses and minuses and its fans and detractors. Can't go wrong, but always "shop the dealer." A dealer with a good service and parts department can tip the balance.

VicB

Forum Newbie
Threads
You should be able to find almost any expendable part on eBay ... :smile:KennyV

Thanks Kenny. Have looked on eBay but most say "Not available to Australia" and that my friend is why I am looking for 'gray parts dealer' or aftermarket supplier. Kubota do not allow US dealers to ship to Australia - that way they can jack up prices here without fear of international competition!

DrBT

Forum Newbie
Threads
My lawn is 2.5 acres and I mow it twice a week. Most of the lawn was a corn field so it is rough.
The Kubota diesel engine is the best. My 2003 ZD 25 has 800+ hours on it and never have had a problem with it.
The blade transmision (differential) has been replaced twice and the deck bearings have been replaced once and I need to replace them again.
There are quite a few grease fittings that I grease every day I mow, some are difficult to see if the gun is connected correctly and the differential is very difficult to keep an eye on the fluid level. It needs a dip stick in place of the sight hole. The front suspension and the deck wheels have grease fittings, but there are no bushings, just steel on steel, so when the components wear out and everything gets loose, your screwed. The seat is very cheaply made, I replaced mine twice.
The steering motors started to get weak and jittery at 300 hours, again at 650 hours and I need to replace them again at 800 hours.
It is built like a mack truck, but could be better at very little cost in manufacturing.

Romore

Threads
I used a BX2670 for three seasons and was impressed by the quality. The three cylinder diesel and hydrostatic transmission were very smooth and trouble free. The only problems were a seized mowing height control, apparently not uncommon, and overheating. Grass had built up between the rear mount radiator and the battery where it was not readily visible.
The machine had it's limitations. The fel was not overly useful for anything but snow, the tractor was too light to provide adequate traction even with 4wd and the weight box. I could also not fit chains on the rear wheels due to lack of clearance, I had a short but steep section of driveway that caused me fits while plowing.