Export thread

What's Your Customization?

Briana

Briana

Hi Guys,

I know some of you like to personalize your mowers, so I'm curious to hear about some of the modifications you have made. How have you customized your mower?

Be sure to add pictures and details! :thumbsup:

M

Mister Mower

I have done some custom mowers for customers from simple paint to full blown mods. Here are a few of them, the first one is a before and after of a complete rebuild from frame up. The first two pics are a 1996 Craftsman, we striped down the frame, repaired stress cracks and broken mounts, primed and repainted with gloss black, repainted engine cowl to match body with a dark purple, dual exhaust on a 22hp briggs v-twin, and 4 layers of paint on the body after complete strip down, along with strobe lights in the head lights. The Black and Yellow my kids named bumblbee and it involved repainting the body and custom exhaust. The last one is basic paint.

Attachments

Parkmower

Parkmower

First thing I do to all my work machines is install a grabber for litter and a 5 gallon bucket to put it in.
Here's a pic of my husq zt wit my garbage system.

Attachments

wjjones

wjjones

Front bumper that has been well used (trees, and other stationary objects) Ag tires, and a ball hitch to pull 5x8 utility trailer around..

Dangeroustoys56

Dangeroustoys56

Well, my stock tractors are pretty much.... er stock - but my task specific mod tractors are mostly works in progress.

One is a trail/offroad tractor - 80's agway ( murray) - still working things out on it, plan on putting a winch,atv style rack on the back, atv rear tires, extra lights and eventually a 4 wheel drive setup after some seat time:

80's agway offroader by The Kiddo, on Flickr

Another will be a 'go kart' -a 80's MTD wizard with a 5 or 6.5HP horizontal shaft motor, straight rear axle, lowering and 6" rims - a future mod for that will be a big v twin or opposed twin ( its in pieces now- this is a before shot):

wizard by The Kiddo, on Flickr

Yet another would be a 90's MTD chassis with 69 wheelhorse raider 10 sheetmetal ( all old and rusty as it is) - big 18HP opposed twin, lowering, straight axle and golf kart wheels for a rat rod tractor - this pic is before i took it apart:

wheelhorse raider 10 by The Kiddo, on Flickr

At the moment, my normal mowers are taking shed time, mod tractors are on the back burner unfortunately.....

B

batman010208

hi why dont you build a monster mower i have that one in my yard and its going to be a 6x6 custom if you check out www.allterainmowers .com and check out batman010208

D

Def-Ed

I'm combining my craftsman dyt4000 with a burned GT5000 I got off craigslist.
Just laid two more freshly powdercoated parts in the "complete" pile.
Not going to post a build thread till it's done,but mods to be expected are
26hp B&S ELS
Custom paint
Custom built projector fog lamp
Chrome powdercoated wheels and tube bumper
Custom moly coated spindles (just removed for prep)
Autometer oil pressure,amp and voltage guages.
Custom ceramic coated silenced exhaust
Upgraded wiring/optima battery.
Stainless braided sleeves on hoses.
Upgraded tie/steering rods

Some of the stuff is already on the dyt4000 (optima,wiring,guages)
The fog lamp is almost finished,was building already for dyt.
Paint is a must,GT is red-dyt is black. Gt hood is burnt so using black dyt hood.
Plan to keep it red and add black stripes prob.
Already got some frame brackets powdered red.

Other things I hope to have time for
Chrome powdercoated valve covers
Billet grille
Diamondplate skidplates
Coated springs,pushrods and rockers

Dyt is pulling yard duty right now and has the engine.
So i'm doing everything else to GT chassis I can,with plans to complete swap this winter or hopefully earlier.
I'll be happy getting half of it done.

Anderson Classic Tractors

Anderson Classic Tractors

The mower was an old White that was very rusty. I disassembled just about everything. I had to weld both sides where the axle and the body (frame)meet, as it was broken. Took most of it to bare metal and primed it. The color was light gray and gray. I wanted something sporty so I had the idea to make a Ferrari. It had to be red over black. This was a VERY low budget project so I painted it by spray can. I took my time and applied several coats and rubbed it out. Its not perfect but I was happy how it turned out. I installed led taillights that are not on the picture.

Attachments

D

Def-Ed

Here's a few completed parts for the garden tractor.
Decided against chrome powdercoat for valve covers.
And spindles were coated with ceramic lubricant instead of moly,mainly because the ceramic was already loaded and it'll work great also.
660921ce.jpg

demhustler

demhustler

B

buzzzmeister

There were several of us that restored a Jacobsen Commercial mower and added a few 'enhancements.'

The Phoenix Arises

C

chance123

Forgive me but what exactly was moded? I see what looks like a Hydro Gear pump just sitting on the frame, but not part of anything.

M

mkamin927

I added a large weight box to the back of my 317, and a custom ih plow on it, that was a fun build, but im currently build a snowmobile engine powered jd 212. Its almost mounted, and the engine if out of a 340 cyclone made by jd. The 317 is my go to machine it also has year round chains on a separate set of tires so switching to turfs is easy. it has the original kt17 s1. the entire drive train is stock, it just has a bunch of homemade attachments.

T

thirdroc17

Too many to say!

Most of the engines are modified, from as little as a different head, to a long list of modifications, internal and external.

Most have tires larger than stock.

Mower decks have been modified for better performance by doubling up the number of blades on them.

Snowblower usually get overdriven.

Anything to things work better!

C

chance123

I once took the hydraulics out of an old Toro Parkmaster 7 gang reel mower that had very long hydraulic cylinders and made a log splitter. It worked very well. I'll try to find the pics

C

cuda

Being a car guy I I just had to add a few mods. Take a look.

Attachments

C

CustomCraftsman

Craftsman re2000, first shot

I got in a car wreck last year that took me out of work. Bought a craftsman RE2000 on a whim and cleaned it up painted etc. Cleaned and sanded all the sheet metal, tore it down to the frame, implement primer, metallic blue panels, black on the plastics, Blue high temp on the engine covers with high temp metallic clear over that, gloss back engine bay, replaced most the wiring, half inch steel elbow and fittings for the exhaust to a briggs silencer.

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Re: Craftsman re2000, first shot

I got in a car wreck last year that took me out of work. Bought a craftsman RE2000 on a whim and cleaned it up painted etc. Cleaned and sanded all the sheet metal, tore it down to the frame, implement primer, metallic blue panels, black on the plastics, Blue high temp on the engine covers with high temp metallic clear over that, gloss back engine bay, replaced most the wiring, half inch steel elbow and fittings for the exhaust to a briggs silencer.

Nice job! :thumbsup:

C

cuda

Good work CC, you ever do any car work?

C

cuda

Def-ed, sounds like your building a street rod instead of a mower. Put up some progress pics for us to enjoy. If you like cars and I know you do, check out my flickr page. Flickr: Kumpulan Foto My fine rides

slammed

slammed

Def-ed, sounds like your building a street rod instead of a mower. Put up some progress pics for us to enjoy. If you like cars and I know you do, check out my flickr page. Flickr: Kumpulan Foto My fine rides

Nice mower

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I put lights on my mowers so I don't get hit by a car when pushing my mower back from a house...now that it gets dark very early. :frown: But the lights look cool! :biggrin: :laughing:
DSCN2096.jpg

DSCN2098.jpg

Carscw

Carscw

Would you like me to send you a hard hat with a blinking light on top? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Would you like me to send you a hard hat with a blinking light on top? Lol

My neighbor does that! :laughing: I'm not even kidding! He is out mowing in the dark with a light on his head. It is too dark to see if it is a miners cap or a head-band with a light. Either way, it is odd!

mowerman1999

mowerman1999

I put a honda gcv engine on my macallister lawn mower which had a shop own engine on it

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I put a honda gcv engine on my macallister lawn mower which had a shop own engine on it

How do you like the Honda engine?

mowerman1999

mowerman1999

How do you like the Honda engine?

i really like it its much smoother and better on fuel it allways starts first pull:) not bad for 20 quid

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

i really like it its much smoother and better on fuel it allways starts first pull:) not bad for 20 quid

I agree, compared to other engines I have used on mowers, Honda engines always start easy....and on the first pull.

hansoncarla

hansoncarla

Mounted a 38" single stage snow blower on the front of my PM260 zeroturn and added an enclosure to help keep some of the cold out.

Attachments

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Mounted a 38" single stage snow blower on the front of my PM260 zeroturn and added an enclosure to help keep some of the cold out.

WELCOME TO LMF!
That is really cool!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I put another light on my snowblower so I can snowblow at night. It's pretty bright! :thumbsup: You can angle the light a little left or right so the third picture is with the light pointed more to the right.
DSCN3765.jpg

DSCN3764.jpg

DSCN3763.jpg

Carscw

Carscw

I wish we was getting snow.
This is a few mins ago in Alabama.
This storm will be on me in 2 hours I might need your lights

image-3793905911.png

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I wish we was getting snow.
This is a few mins ago in Alabama.
This storm will be on me in 2 hours I might need your lights

View attachment 10491

Oh gosh! Be careful! :eek::eek:

P

putterman46

Hi Guys,

I know some of you like to personalize your mowers, so I'm curious to hear about some of the modifications you have made. How have you customized your mower?

Be sure to add pictures and details! :thumbsup:

I had a 1946 Bolens Power Ho, a Mid 80s Gamble store lawn tractor, a Blue Max 11HP engine, an old dishwasher, Boat trailer parts, metal bed frame, and other misc. parts. So I used as much as I could to build an Einachser or walk behind tractor. I am now working on a ride on cart to pull behind it. It has electric start and headlights. I have changed pulley sizes to go faster but I haven't timed it yet for speed. I remember these from the 50s and how versatile they were. I want mine mainly for short run transportation.
If you want to see them in action look up "einachser" on you tube. or einachserrennen for the thrill seekers. The power hoe pictured is what I started with. I will now clean it up and trim it out with new paint etc.

Attachments

B

bulldogbones

If it doesnt have a mower deck on it any more can I show my build?

Carscw

Carscw

If it doesnt have a mower deck on it any more can I show my build?

Yes as long as its not a ugly green junk Deere.
LOL

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

B

bulldogbones

Case 446 that I removed the 16hp Onan and replaced it with a 18hp Lombardini Diesel, here are some some pics of the pre fitment.

2e228d9a.jpg

117ebf92.jpg

b7aa5102.jpg

ef58c2cc.jpg

45d469c7.jpg
[/QUOTE]

34aa30f4.jpg

Engine mocked in place

c43bd09c.jpg

Brackets unfriendly

79fb50cf.jpg

Brackets Friendly

a4d46b06.jpg

All done and installed. All that is missing it the front PTO

49785563.jpg

2929b9c2.jpg

942c64d9.jpg

33d1cde1.jpg

21375efc.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Carscw

Carscw

Case 446 that I removed the 16hp Onan and replaced it with a 18hp Lombardini Diesel, here are some some pics of the pre fitment.
Engine mocked in place

Brackets unfriendly

Brackets Friendly

All done and installed. All that is missing it the front PTO

Looks good.
You have been busy
Your going to like 18jp lombardini

The case 446 is just a cool looking tractor

B

bulldogbones

Looks good.
You have been busy
Your going to like 18jp lombardini

The case 446 is just a cool looking tractor

I built a bracket on the rear that holds 8 40lb weights and that little tractor will just sink in and pull. I wish I had wheel weights because those are easier on the axles, but you have to use what ya got. I have a set of duals for it, that I used at the old house during the spring to get around.

W

wizard4878

Being a car guy I I just had to add a few mods. Take a look.

I know this is a nearly 7 year old post, but I'm new to this forum and was wondering are those working exhaust tips or just dummy's. They kind of look like they are from an old volkwagon beetle. Sorry for being so late to the game

The Chairman

The Chairman

Frankenthreads can be fun. I've only made two mods to my Hustler Raptor SD 60" ZT mower. Due to the many times I had to tow her back to the Ag-shed, I installed a tow ring on the front and repaired/beefed up the tow point in the rear. I can't find the pictures, but they have come in handy.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Racing stripes on a push mower :laughing::laughing:

just kiddin

H

HoosierSam

"....I know some of you like to personalize your mowers"...

Yes,indeed,and here's a couple of them- two 1960's era articulating steer BOLENS Lawn Keepers.

Attachments

128MB

20191113_155856.jpg

Bucket racing seat and v-twin with twin exhaust on my wolf cart ... still needs work and need a belt for the new pulleys.
Then if all goes well and it drives and cuts i want to redo the steering because its like stirring in a pot of oxtale soup.

And the wheels are super tiny. i want bigger turf savers, these look like handcart wheels.