What's missing

Rainbowjohn

Threads
Really? No oil leaks attracting grass and dirt either, all over the block and fins? Even under the air directing pan that goes around the block? Behind your muffler or any other areas?

This must be a brand new or hardly used mower. But wait, the included picture, the lower block is filthy. Don't think your comment is accurate sir. I bet a cold beer that block is grungy.

Either you don't know where or what the top engine cover is or are calling the top side of the cover grass and mice free. Look UNDER the top cover. Look for some cooling fins.

Is the block overheating?

Load test the ignition coil.

Fuel tank holding grass, grit and dirt?
Ignition coil tested and suspect so have ordered a new one, thanks.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engine 18mths old, nice and clean under cover. Tractor 10 yrs old.
I see all kinds of sludge on the lower block area. Guess I'll take your word the fins are actually clean. (y)

So now you have a coil issue? My first reply on page 1 was to check for spark slash load test the coil.

Rainbowjohn

Threads
Finally got a new coil, thanks lead and plug. Fitted today with a 0.014 air gap.
Worked for about 10 mins cutting the grass, stopped it for 10 mins to answer the phone. Started it, ran for only 2 mins and stopped by itself. Same problems as before.
Wait 10 mins and it will start again.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes I tried that after u said, it seemed to work longer before it dies.
You must have junk in the tank then.

You need air, fuel, spark and compression.

Something is starving for something. Most likely it's fuel or spark. You let it sit. Fuel runs into the carb bowl and fills it. Start the engine and the bowl gets sucked down with little fuel flow.

Remove the fuel line AT the carb. Drain into a glass jar. Should have a good stream of fuel.

Get a new OEM fuel cap.