What would it take?

52water

Threads
Hello to all the Snapper people,
I'm considering a project and would welcome any input about it being positive or negative.
I bought a used Snapper riding mower a few years ago. Not sure of the model or year but it has a 28 inch deck, 5 HP B&S engine and has the handlebar type steering. It seemed to be in pretty good condition at the time except the engine was on its last legs. The engine finally gave out and at the time I didn't have the time to fool with it.
This is where i need advice. I have a used MTD 42 inch riding mower that has a lot of stuff messed up on it except it has a real good engine.
The engine is a B&S 18.5 HP Twin II
Model 42A707
Type 2238 E1
Code 9707315A
I guess you can predict my next question. What would it take and would it be worth the trouble to use the 18.5 HP B&S to do the engine upgrade?
I never realy took a good look underneath the snapper to see how everything went together yet. Same with the MTD. Just thought that mabe someone reading this may have done something similar and could Give advice.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It just seems to me it would be a lot less work to fix what you have or replace it with the same engine. I just can't see anything that would fit right by going to the bigger engine. You also said you don't have the time to fool with it. You might be able to find a good used engine at a mower salvage yard for a good price. Just what went bad in your old engine that would be such a big job to repair?

52water

Threads
This is just something that I was thinking about for a winter project and thought i would try to do a little research while sitting around searching the internet. The idea of a bigger engine appealed to me also. Not sure how bad the 5 HP engine is messed up. I do remember a lot of racket before it seized up. I really didn't expect everything to just fit together easy or fall into place. Probably changing over whatever is on the 5 HP shaft to the 18.5 HP may be my biggest concern. Not sure of the shaft sizes on either engine. I bet there is someone that has done this though. If i can get the bigger engine to power the Snapper, I will also convert it to propane. Could be interesting.

scott47429

Threads
it will be alot of work but i can be done and it has been done on here a few times that i have seen first off you have to check the shaft of the new engine the diameter and the length if the parts from the old engine won't change over and I'm sure they won't since theres such a big HP difference then you will need to look and see if you can find a snapper drive plate that will fit the 18.5 horse engine and you may have to make new mounting holes in the frame for the new engine as I'm sure there not going to line right up and i can see where you will run into problems with the gas tank as far as clearance also you will be going from pull to electric start so thats going to be some extra wiring and installing a battery but should be no problem there and i see where one guy on here took the old snapper fuel tank off and used a old bunton tank he had laying around so yes it can be done just going to be some work good winter project and we will expect some pictures good luck

52water

Threads
Thanks for the replies. I will Sure give it more thought and do some more research.
I will update with pictures if and when I decide to tackle the project. I probably will Pull the Snapper out from under the junk and take a look at it underneath. Maybe I'll get some inspiration.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The engine finally gave out and at the time I didn't have the time to fool with it. And now its a winter project. Now this is two differant storys. Yes it sure sounds like it will make a nice winter project. Now if you have the time, skills, tools, shop, and money you can make anything work. If you just want a quick easy project keep it stock.

Alanky

Threads
Just noticed yours is a 5hp. You may need to find a snapper with an 8hp or larger engine and use that drive plate. I'm not sure what the crank diameter on your 5hp would be.

52water

Threads
Alanky,
Just finished looking at your project. Looks pretty close to what i would be trying.
I would imagine that I could still get a drive plate to to fit the bigger engine.
I really don't have to do this. I just like to do something a little different at times. Maybe I'll end up with a mini brush hog.
Anyway I am already getting some inspiration from your swap.
I enjoyed looking over your pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

52water

Threads
I decided to Get the Snapper out from under the junk and have a look at it today.
I found that I was wrong about it having the 5 HP B&S. It has a 8 HP B&S.
Maybe the shaft will be the same as the 18.5 HP B&S that i want to use.
I didn't measured the shaft size on either one yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I'm including some pictures of the Snapper and the MTD that i want to use the engine from. I probably wont try to start on it yet but having it out in the open will let me plan it out better.

Attachments

• Snapper-001.png
    Snapper-001.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Snapper-002.png
    Snapper-002.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • Snapper-003.png
    Snapper-003.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Snapper-004.png
    Snapper-004.png