What Type of Grass do I want for my lawn?

Arslan001

Forum Newbie
Threads
I want to install grass for my lawn, Can anyone guide me on which type of grass is more beneficial.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well that is a loaded question as different grass are for different areas. It depends how it is maintained. Personally I like fescue but I don't mind mowing my grass in the winter. I also like the look of centipede grass but during winter it is dead on top and is easily tracked into the home.

Just give us some info on where you are as it might others here to provide some recommendations.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Start by figuring out what climate you are in. A different grass would be grown in Oregon than southern Texas or Florida. Soils also have to be considered. It isn't that easy of a question. Also some grasses are engineered to cause insects and bugs to get sick if they eat the grass, if you have animals that graze on that same kind of grass they will get sick too. Pasture grass is different than playground or high end turf.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would start by asking your local landscapers. if anyone in your area knows what works best there they would.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check with your county extension agent.

Ericcburson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I want to install grass for my lawn, Can anyone guide me on which type of grass is more beneficial.
The biggest generalization divides grass into two groups. Cool season and hot season. Your local market should’ve already sorted that out for you. You want pure tall fescue if you live in the north western part of the country. Down south you might want pure Kentucky blue grass. The key is to avoid the blends and get purely single strains. It’s more expensive but it is worth it. The only benefit to having grass is that it holds the dirt down. No joke .check out the great dust bowl of the 1930s when we learned what happens with out grasslands

Gord Baker

Threads
I would suggest Green. Local Sod Farmers would be one of your best info guys, compare with Nursery advice. The wind will quickly contaminate 'pure' strains.
Work up the surface first, spread twice as much as recommended as only 40% germinates. Lots of water, daily.

Sockmonkey

Forum Newbie
Threads
AstroTurf. Minimal maintenance. No need for mowers. Not even Biden Electrics. Ha!

clarkie68

Threads
I would suggest Green. Local Sod Farmers would be one of your best info guys, compare with Nursery advice. The wind will quickly contaminate 'pure' strains.
Work up the surface first, spread twice as much as recommended as only 40% germinates. Lots of water, daily.
I agree with you. local Sod farmers would give the best advice.