what oil for craftsman with a diamond series i/c 15.5 hp

lee101

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / what oil for craftsman with a diamond series i/c 15.5 hp
what weight and amount of oil goes in this thing. i just got a new air filter plug etc.. but i cant find anywhere as to what weight oil to use..

thanks in advance

TnHusky

Threads
I would think a 30wt HD oil such as Pennzoil 4 cycle oil you can purchase at Autozone or at Advanced would work great. I ran this in my briggs for 12 years and it was running strong. It was a 16.5 twin cylinder.

Attachments

• 101_0606.jpg
    101_0606.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 5

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
15W40 Amsoil

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
what weight and amount of oil goes in this thing. i just got a new air filter plug etc.. but i cant find anywhere as to what weight oil to use..

thanks in advance

lee101,
I've had very good results for the last 20 years using Briggs & Stratton 4-Cycle SAE 30W oil(available at Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc. and relatively inexpensive). My first lawn tractor(a 1993 True Value Lawn Chief with a 16hp B & S Vanguard) was finally retired last year and still didn't use/burn a drop of oil between the seasonal oil changes(I changed the oil each spring and the oil & filter every other year). Same goes for the 2006 Craftsman lawn tractor with a 24hp B & S Intek(not the quality engine of the Vanguard, but my son is still using it and no oil consumption). I just performed the first oil change following the 10 hour break-in period on my new 2012 Gravely ZTR that has a Kawasaki FX691V Commercial engine. Guess what oil I decided to use in it.....you have 3 guesses and the first two don't count:0)

Threads
Briggs sae 30 it should hold 1 bottle you can get it at Lowes, Wal-mart, or TSC.

Threads
lee101,
I've had very good results for the last 20 years using Briggs & Stratton 4-Cycle SAE 30W oil(available at Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc. and relatively inexpensive). My first lawn tractor(a 1993 True Value Lawn Chief with a 16hp B & S Vanguard) was finally retired last year and still didn't use/burn a drop of oil between the seasonal oil changes(I changed the oil each spring and the oil & filter every other year). Same goes for the 2006 Craftsman lawn tractor with a 24hp B & S Intek(not the quality engine of the Vanguard, but my son is still using it and no oil consumption). I just performed the first oil change following the 10 hour break-in period on my new 2012 Gravely ZTR that has a Kawasaki FX691V Commercial engine. Guess what oil I decided to use in it.....you have 3 guesses and the first two don't count:0)

:thumbsup:

TnHusky

Threads
C'mon now, what's wrong with Pennzoil 30wt? :laughing: Either oil will work great so whatever you choose will be fine. I'm just a Pennzoil man in all my vechicles except my Harley which gets Amsoil 20-50.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
C'mon now, what's wrong with Pennzoil 30wt? :laughing: Either oil will work great so whatever you choose will be fine. I'm just a Pennzoil man in all my vechicles except my Harley which gets Amsoil 20-50.

I have used Penzoil products for every vehicle I have ever owned starting with a brand new 1972 MG Midget($1,700 off the showroom floor:0) I currently use nothing but Penzoil 10W30 in my 1995 Chevy Silverado Z71(235K miles). I just started using the B & S for small engine applications when I bought my first lawn tractor and garden tiller(also had a 5hp B & S engine). It worked so well I never considered switching to my "big engine" oil. I hear ya.....Pennzoil is no frills, quality motor oil!!!

TnHusky

Threads
I have used Penzoil products for every vehicle I have ever owned starting with a brand new 1972 MG Midget($1,700 off the showroom floor:0) I currently use nothing but Penzoil 10W30 in my 1995 Chevy Silverado Z71(235K miles). I just started using the B & S for small engine applications when I bought my first lawn tractor and garden tiller(also had a 5hp B & S engine). It worked so well I never considered switching to my "big engine" oil. I hear ya.....Pennzoil is no frills, quality motor oil!!!

It just always worked so good in my car engines and my trucks that I started running it in my lawn mower and it's been great there also. Like you said just plain good oil. Even there Syn oil is awesome too.

lee101

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks guys good choices here i do have to pass an auto value in the morning so i will pick up a few qts.