What is your favorite tree?

mystreba

Threads
Any fruit that gets to the ground will also attract wasps, hornets, bees, & other nasties.

Good point, I'd forgotten about that. Our apples attract cicada-killers, which you won't necessarily see munching on the apple until you pick it up - that tends to pi$$ them off. Those bees look as though they might carry off the dog.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
apples attract cicada-killers, which you won't necessarily see munching on the apple until you pick it up - that tends to pi$$ them off. Those bees look as though they might carry off the dog.

Ha ha ... nature has a way of reminding you to LOOK before you reach :biggrin:. KennyV

Stevie-Ray

Threads
Sweetgum. We had one planted in front of our house after we had a destructive silver maple cut down. It's leaves are a cool shape and they turn a deep red in autumn. It would be nice to see it grow to a huge size, but we won't be here that long.

mystreba

Threads
It would be nice to see it grow to a huge size, but we won't be here that long.

I know the feeling. Sometimes I purchase annuals with the thought that they might outlive me.

Ohhh... you were talking about moving? :laughing:

mystreba

Threads
Corkscrew varieties are always nice. I have a corkscrew willow I put in last year, and I love it.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Corkscrew varieties are always nice. I have a corkscrew willow I put in last year, and I love it.

Hands down, scarlet maple...we live in mid-Michigan and only have one...I wish I had planted more of them when I was younger. Second choice would be sycamore.

Greenblades

Threads
Hmm...I was more thinking that maybe I could reuse the bamboo. The ultimate Do it yourself flooring. I didn't think it would puncture mower tires.

I'm not too worried about deer with fruit trees. We live near a preserve and they think our yard is theirs anyway. It wouldn't make much more of a difference. Now bears though...

Stevie-Ray

Threads
I know the feeling. Sometimes I purchase annuals with the thought that they might outlive me.

Ohhh... you were talking about moving? :laughing:
:biggrin: Both. We're moving, but I doubt I'd see it quite large even if we were staying.:wink: