What engine is this?

FahkNutz

Member
1989 30" rider, 10 HP MOWER Model # 502.254170

Engine label says "Craftsman 10HP 4 CYCLE. There is a number on engine cover but nothing showed up when I Google. It is "43 386142 SER 8167D".
 
IT is a Tecumseh.
You missed the "1" that the crack runs through.
put that back in and do your search .


I just came back here to post same info. Thank you though for catching that.

I think the engine blew up today. The rpms were really high, I don't know why. I fiddled with the linkage below the carb, could manually get it to lower rpm but it wouldn't stay. I had a few minutes left to mow. Finished and drove over to the garage. Engine popped really loud, stopped and smoke came out, mostly from gas tank side. The engine spins very freely like there is no compression. Oil level to FULL. When spinning engine the pulley underneath the deck does spin as well. My guess is blown piston or valve head? Ugh.
 
Either that or it blew the connecting rod, usually they blow from low oil seizure, but fatigue can cause it.
 
A different engine might simply bolt in.

Any ideas which model engines would work?

I've got a hard decision to make. Replace engine or buy new mower.

I've nursed this 30 yr old mower along for 15 yrs. Replaced drive axle, chain roller. Steering & suspension bushings. Steering gear. Had to make or mend some worn parts. One of the front wheel axle w "control arm". Body & seat support. Made a new shifter lever. Replaced spindle.

Gonna do an engine autopsy tomorrow.
 
Back
Top