what do u guys think of the new sno-tek snow blowers from home depot

briggs

Threads
  • / what do u guys think of the new sno-tek snow blowers from home depot
I am not to sure if I like the stuff home depot is putting out I had one come in it was a year old it needed allot of work for being 1 year old the guy had it serviced and put stable ..The carb needed a kit already what a POS I am not happy with new Briggs motor they put on the Ariens blowers ether there made cheap and look it too what the heck are they doing to these machines they are getting worse every year wish they would leave them alone ...Whats your thoughts

Last edited:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, before the Briggs and Stratton motor were bullet proof! My dad had an old craftsman motor with a B&B and he never changed the oil in it in someting like 15 years. I'm sure that if he would of maintained the mower better we would still have it, but we got rid of it, because if was heavy and some other things needed some repairs, but not that engine! Ariens is supposed to be known for it's quality! That is dissapointing.

In today's industry we cut costs down by putting cheaper components. It's just how it is. It's even in the car industry.

I like my YardMachines snowblower. It's a beast with its Tecumseh engine!

briggs

Threads
Well, before the Briggs and Stratton motor were bullet proof! My dad had an old craftsman motor with a B&B and he never changed the oil in it in someting like 15 years. I'm sure that if he would of maintained the mower better we would still have it, but we got rid of it, because if was heavy and some other things needed some repairs, but not that engine! Ariens is supposed to be known for it's quality! That is dissapointing.

In today's industry we cut costs down by putting cheaper components. It's just how it is. It's even in the car industry.

I like my YardMachines snowblower. It's a beast with its Tecumseh engine!

I used to love Briggs (name ) lol but I over the last 10 years they have building junk and its sad ...I had one on a go cart when I was kid I never took care of it drove the guts out of it hell I ran it oil and u think it blew up never lol pour more in it and away u go it was an 8hp loved it...The new ones would have blown for sure ...I love Ariens also good EQ but yes they are following suit with the other company's to try and stay competitive in the market ..Allot of the issue I find its all made off shore now and they are not the same at all no quality control that's for sure ..But soon that's all we will see because Briggs bought out Tecumseh ..So when there gone there gone .My snow blower is a yard king with a 10hp TC on it good unit ..

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used to love Briggs (name ) lol but I over the last 10 years they have building junk and its sad ...I had one on a go cart when I was kid I never took care of it drove the guts out of it hell I ran it oil and u think it blew up never lol pour more in it and away u go it was an 8hp loved it...The new ones would have blown for sure ...I love Ariens also good EQ but yes they are following suit with the other company's to try and stay competitive in the market ..Allot of the issue I find its all made off shore now and they are not the same at all no quality control that's for sure ..But soon that's all we will see because Briggs bought out Tecumseh ..So when there gone there gone .My snow blower is a yard king with a 10hp TC on it good unit ..

Very true! My dad put way too much oil in that briggs motor in the mower. It was puffing on its first day to burn the excess oil. But, it lasted many years after that on the same oil.

I got the snowblower about 5-6 years ago. It's a pretty good unit. Nothing like a Honda or other commercial snowblower tho, but it has a lot of power compared to those little ariens and Craftsman blowers.

The off shore thing is to cut costs down. The labor is good and cheap there and they don't have nearly as much safety regulations like here that are very usefull. It's another world and we don't seem to think about how hard these people work (more than us!) to get paid a few dollars a day.

briggs

Threads
Very true! My dad put way too much oil in that briggs motor in the mower. It was puffing on its first day to burn the excess oil. But, it lasted many years after that on the same oil.

I got the snowblower about 5-6 years ago. It's a pretty good unit. Nothing like a Honda or other commercial snowblower tho, but it has a lot of power compared to those little ariens and Craftsman blowers.

The off shore thing is to cut costs down. The labor is good and cheap there and they don't have nearly as much safety regulations like here that are very usefull. It's another world and we don't seem to think about how hard these people work (more than us!) to get paid a few dollars a day.

Yes true on the labor it sucks they do that tho its a crappy deal all around ...The machines are junk unless u buy the top of the line ..What happened to quality and pride ..I guess now a days its a throw away world nothing last's anymore ....But then again they give me something to work on right when they brake but u should be able to get more then a year out of it before it needs repairs

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
..But soon that's all we will see because Briggs bought out Tecumseh ..

When did Briggs buy Tecumseh. Last track I had Tecumseh was under the control of CPC, which also controls LCT engines. under the name of Lauson engine.

briggs

Threads
When did Briggs buy Tecumseh. Last track I had Tecumseh was under the control of CPC, which also controls LCT engines. under the name of Lauson engine.

I was told by my dealer that Briggs had bought them out sometime this year ......And I have herd from other Small engine shops here in Canada I had one fellow call me from Toronto 3 hrs away and tell me because he had herd the same thing ...Dose briggs own that company or have anything to do with it..I am looking in to now but all I can find is CPC so far ..But that's the word going around up this part of the woods I could be wrong I should call them myself and find out instead of listening to other people u know how stores get started

briggs

Threads
I was told by my dealer that Briggs had bought them out sometime this year ......And I have herd from other Small engine shops here in Canada I had one fellow call me from Toronto 3 hrs away and tell me because he had herd the same thing ...Dose briggs own that company or have anything to do with it..I am looking in to now but all I can find is CPC so far ..But that's the word going around up this part of the woods I could be wrong I should call them myself and find out instead of listening to other people u know how stores get started

I just called them and they would not confirm if they did or didn't buy them out hummmmmm oh well the new briggs stuff is crap and I will stock pile my TC engines for now because people will want them lol

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
TC engines are loved or hated. It is strange. Some people have good esperiences with them and some don't. I personnaly have a 2006 Lawn-Boy with a TC (Tecumseh engine). It is running well and I have always changed the oil, air filter and spark plug at every season. It nevers sounds right tho. It always sounds like it is knoking -like all TC engines-:tongue:

Just a quick question, do you work on old Lawnboys? If so, I would need your help on engine swaps and tuning. The saddest thing is that Lawboy is getting killed by Toro and they also had to stop making their 2 stroke motors because of EPA.

briggs

Threads
TC engines are loved or hated. It is strange. Some people have good esperiences with them and some don't. I personnaly have a 2006 Lawn-Boy with a TC (Tecumseh engine). It is running well and I have always changed the oil, air filter and spark plug at every season. It nevers sounds right tho. It always sounds like it is knoking -like all TC engines-:tongue:

Just a quick question, do you work on old Lawnboys? If so, I would need your help on engine swaps and tuning. The saddest thing is that Lawboy is getting killed by Toro and they also had to stop making their 2 stroke motors because of EPA.

i hated them for years when i started working on them back in high school i could not stand them then they went went threw a spell where they were blowing up like crazy ...They have gotten alot better ...I have my 10hp TC its a snow king engine i keep it oil changed and tuned up every year regardless if it needs it or not ...Whats the Model of your lawnboy i can see if we can fix u up