What am I missing?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
BZE6026KO came in with electrical issues. Someone had changed a bunch of stuff up, after the new solenoid didn't work. I think it was just the starter was bad. But they changed the solenoid, tied some wires into other things. And it was a mess.

I've got it down to where it cranks, runs and charges. Except THE only way this is possible, is for a pretty thick black wire, that has power going through it when the key is on, to be grounded. I have it grounded to the bolt that holds the 4 post solenoid to the frame. If this wire isn't grounded, nothing happens at all.

The wire doesn't have the OEM end. It goes from the solenoid all the way back up to the other end of the wire wrapping, then what looks like to be back towards where it came from. But lost in the harness.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Part of the serial number is missing. Need at least the first four after the "KO". Right we know it is a Bad Boy ZT Elite Model with a 60" deck and a 27 hp Kohler engine. The next digits is the MM / YY.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
BZE6026KO2141325 It's a 2014 model

Kohler KT745-3031

Sorry about missing that info. Was in a hurry and just pasted what I was putting into the badboy website search.

The ONLY wire I can think of that would have power going to it, a black wire, would be something having to do with the safety switches. It's a low grade of power, because the test light is very dim when I touch it, vs touching the battery.

And when the key switch is off, the power is not going to it.

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're saying that with that black wire unhooked, all is dead? or the motor won't run? Would get some low amp power in that wire from the carb solenoid if it's switched from ground, would explain the motor not running, but not sure if that would kill the whole system.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're saying that with that black wire unhooked, all is dead? or the motor won't run? Would get some low amp power in that wire from the carb solenoid if it's switched from ground, would explain the motor not running, but not sure if that would kill the whole system.
With the wire not touching anything, when you turn the key to start, you get nothing at all. Like the battery isn't even connected. But ground that wire, and everything is fine.

This black wire is thicker than the others. The only black wire thicker than it, is the battery ground wire.

Pat Gross

Forum Newbie
Threads
BZE6026KO came in with electrical issues. Someone had changed a bunch of stuff up, after the new solenoid didn't work. I think it was just the starter was bad. But they changed the solenoid, tied some wires into other things. And it was a mess.

I've got it down to where it cranks, runs and charges. Except THE only way this is possible, is for a pretty thick black wire, that has power going through it when the key is on, to be grounded. I have it grounded to the bolt that holds the 4 post solenoid to the frame. If this wire isn't grounded, nothing happens at all.

The wire doesn't have the OEM end. It goes from the solenoid all the way back up to the other end of the wire wrapping, then what looks like to be back towards where it came from. But lost in the harness.

Pat Gross

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get a schematic off the net or from the dealer and put it back original

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The black wire is supposed to be grounded. When you say the light is dim it is because you are on The negative side of the load. It is probably the ground for most everything on the mower. When you turn the key on and measure voltage from the black wire to ground you will get very close to battery voltage. This is because you are measuring potential (no current flow). Once you load the circuit you are measuring circuit voltage. Put a ring terminal on it and connect ro a good ground, battery if possible. Then miller time.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never rely on a color of a wire.
Trace the circuit out with the proper schematic.
Someone could of "helped" you out and rewired the sucker just as you mentioned.
For all we know that could be the main + wire off the battery LOL. And since the wire is black, people think it needs grounding. Hey my house burnt down when I grounded the black wire LOL. Back to regular programming.

slomo