What a deal !!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
A local small engine repair shop advertises a special on walk behind lawn mowers: "Tune up, $60 plus parts". :rolleyes:

I called them and asked what the special included, they answered "we clean the bottom and sharpen or replace the blade, change the oil, and check to see if the carb is set correctly, clean and regap or replace the spark plug, clean or replace the air filter...."

Hmm, 15 minutes to do the cleaning and blade, five to change the oil, five to check the carb, five to check the air filter, five to check the plug...just over a half hour...sixty bucks.

Their parts prices: Replace blade, $22 to $31. Spark plug, $5. Air filter, $6.35. And the capper...$4.95 for 21 ounces of bulk 30 weight oil.

For those who service your own equipment, look at all the money you save. :thumbsup:

VRman

Threads
Well, for those that are not mechanically inclined, or just don't have the time, it really isn't that bad of a deal. Besides, they're running the business to make money. That $60 isn't pure profit. After employee pay, taxes, insurance, etc, I'd be surprised if he nets more than $20 off the job. Not to mention all the hassle and aggravation he takes for running a business. Customer service can be a pita sometimes.

You should spin that and say, look at all the extra money you could make if you wanted to do this in your local area. :biggrin:

indypower

Threads
Sounds like they may be hurting for bussiness. Going rate here is $75 plus parts.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like they may be hurting for bussiness. Going rate here is $75 plus parts.

At $60-75 an hour, they are cutting their own throat...I am retired from my full time job, but do mechanical and carpentry work as a sideline. For my 36 years of experience, my customers pay me $25 an hour and 25 cents per mile, materials are billed at my actual cost. And I don't lose money doing this...I get more job offers than I can accept, for obvious reasons. If I billed $60-75 per hour and marked up materials 2X or 3X nobody would want to hire me.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The net profit after all expenses and overhead for a tier III dealer (over $1,000,000 annually) is about a 2-3 percent margin. tier I dealers ( under $500,000) have a much higher profit margin. he may be a tier II dealer ($500,000-1,000,000) trying to reach tier III status. The tier II to tier III level has to be completed within about 12-18 months or you go belly up.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The net profit after all expenses and overhead for a tier III dealer (over $1,000,000 annually) is about a 2-3 percent margin. tier I dealers ( under $500,000) have a much higher profit margin. he may be a tier II dealer ($500,000-1,000,000) trying to reach tier III status. The tier II to tier III level has to be completed within about 12-18 months or you go belly up.

? ? ? ?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
At $60-75 an hour, they are cutting their own throat...I am retired from my full time job, but do mechanical and carpentry work as a sideline. For my 36 years of experience, my customers pay me $25 an hour and 25 cents per mile, materials are billed at my actual cost. And I don't lose money doing this...I get more job offers than I can accept, for obvious reasons. If I billed $60-75 per hour and marked up materials 2X or 3X nobody would want to hire me.

On the surface I will have to agree with what you are saying...
The biggest problem is that no matter how bad a deal may sound... someone will, for whatever reason, find a way to justify it... and with a broad enough market place there will be enough cash flow to keep every excess around...

There are a few people that have not actually studied economics who perpetuate the idea that - if you do not make a profit on everything that crosses your path- you are loosing money... (Those folks are usually in marketing, not accounting.)

Thankfully that is not how all things actually function.
But there will always be a few of those people coming and going through your life...
... I try to enjoy all types. :smile:KennyV

Attachments

• GEDC0007.jpg
    GEDC0007.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 5
  • GEDC0008.jpg
    GEDC0008.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 4

Zeroturn

Threads
They are probably just looking to get other business. There is nothing wrong with this. Get the people in here on a great deal and then show them how good and nice they are, hopefully they come back. It's called advertising.

jd335

Threads
I was in a public business for 15 years and the only thing i will say is the same thing i said when i was in business everyone should be required to run a business for 6 months then they would under stamd things a little better. And i bet they wouldn't go to walmart and get there oil and new spark plug and air filter and go to there local shop and ask him to install it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well I guess the title of this thread allows a little expansion on what makes a deal...

If in a market place a business survives, with competition, it is either doing enough things right... or there is such a demand for that product or service that it is of no matter how the business operates.

A deal is very subjective... a deal to one person could look terrible to another... We all shop where we do for some reason... :wink:KennyV