WHAT A DEAL!!!

abra

Threads
:tongue:Sounds like a joke:confused2:! If I wanted to have my chimney or drier vent cleaned out I'd get at it and do it myself...and mind you it wouldn't cost me 90 dollars to do it...just a little time and elbow grease!:biggrin:

Its no driffent then people getting us to mow their lawns, they could do themself also

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have used my Android phone at times to post... phones today are just too handy... :smile:KennyV

I had one of the original Blackberries back in Y2K, it was basically just a glorified 2 way email pager, now I am using a Tour as my fourth generation model, the difference is staggering, I wonder what smartphones will be capable of in another ten years? Maybe we will be able to sit back and control robotic mowers with them....:laughing::laughing:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had one of the original Blackberries back in Y2K, it was basically just a glorified 2 way email pager, now I am using a Tour as my fourth generation model, the difference is staggering, I wonder what smartphones will be capable of in another ten years? Maybe we will be able to sit back and control robotic mowers with them....:laughing::laughing:

I'll bet that's possible today with a Wi-Fi capable handset.

I believe Tommy's multi-purpose bot, George*, can be controlled via Wi-Fi. So any Wi-Fi handset could, with the proper software (which might be fun to write:smile:), could control George.

* There's a thread in "Build-it Yourself" where Tommy discusses his creation of "George".

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll bet that's possible today with a Wi-Fi capable handset.

I believe Tommy's multi-purpose bot, George*, can be controlled via Wi-Fi. So any Wi-Fi handset could, with the proper software (which might be fun to write:smile:), could control George.

* There's a thread in "Build-it Yourself" where Tommy discusses his creation of "George".

Did anybody ever see that movie "Lawnmower Man" where the lead character hopped up and modified a commercial grade reel mower and operated it by remote control? That was MY idea of a practical gadget.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did anybody ever see that movie "Lawnmower Man" where the lead character hopped up and modified a commercial grade reel mower and operated it by remote control? That was MY idea of a practical gadget.

I know I saw the movie but it didn't make a very good impression. Maybe I need to see it again, given my enhanced appreciation of all things related to mowing.

I remember Lawn Dogs as a movie worth seeing.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Here in southern California there isn't much you can get in the way of manual labor for $80. It's pretty crazy how expensive skilled trades are. We're currently remodeling our office and it seems like every little thing is another $200. :confused2:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here in southern California there isn't much you can get in the way of manual labor for $80. It's pretty crazy how expensive skilled trades are. We're currently remodeling our office and it seems like every little thing is another $200. :confused2:

Too bad you cannot hire me, I retired as the lead carpenter of a huge state agency, had 31 years in with experience in all phases of facilities management and building construction and troubleshooting, I charge my customers (as a retired guy) $25 an hour and 25 cents a mile and they tell me I'm a bargain. Yet, it takes a lot of overhead to operate a business these days, a one man operation can afford to work for a lot less. Thankfully I only have to work when I feel like it.

A good part of the $200 you speak of is the huge mark up on materials and hardware...every time materials get passed further down the supply chain they increase in cost. If your office could deal directly with a supplier the costs woiuld be less but you are not a contractor, so...can't win, I guess.