Well that was stupid

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well i broke my own rule. Customer brought in .mower and said it ran fine just sat for a year or so with gas in it. Opened the tank and sure enough rotten gas. Pulled carb and cleaned and rebuilt it, new fuel line and cleaned out the tank. Went to start it. 1595942593479.jpg
Well crap no compression. Never take the customer's word what is wrong and troubleshoot before fixing. Customer said just keep it. I get the DAA (dumb ass attack) award today.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I like to go one further and ask the customer o demonstrate what problems they are having
Get one o two a year whop will swear their mower was running fine & they just want a service when there is a big hole in the block with 1/2 the counterweight hanging out of it or a 4 stoke line trimer without even a smell of oil in the crankcase.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just curious. Is that a 12 Cu in Briggs motor?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It'll hone out................?

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
But is the oversized piston and rings available? It is a Tecumseh with very limited parts available.

As yes Hammer you get the reward today for a little while for tomorrow I or some else might take it away. I have after 11 yrs learn to take what the customer says with a grain of salt as there is usually something worst wrong with it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah. I always check out units and not take the customer's word for anything. Errrr....... almost always. At least all i am out is a carb kit and some fuel line.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Snoopy%2Blaughing.gif

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did the guy offer to pay anything for your time or parts? If not I would add him to my list of “Don’t bother coming back”. I’ll also bet the air filter is either new or looks worse than the cylinder.