Wanting complete blown SV600 Kohler Motor

owenslee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking to buy a complete SV series single cylinder Kohler Courage engine that has major damage.

I need a variety of parts to complete a bare SV600 short block for my dad's LT1045 riding mower.

Prefer to find something within reasonable driving distance to St. Louis MO....that is as inexpensive as possible.

Please PM what you might have available.

Thanks...

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are putting a short block together what happen to your old engine.

owenslee

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are putting a short block together what happen to your old engine.

When I learned how many of the early Kohler Courage single cylinder engines were having reliability issues, I was very leary of the design...so the plan was just to buy a new 20 HP Briggs engine from Surplus Center and convert the LT1045 over to the new engine.

So....when the old engine, accessories, plastic covers and small parts were removed, very little was saved as those parts were not going to be interchangeable with the Briggs. That turned out to be a major mistake.

A good friend learned about the problems we had with the original Courage engine and recently offered to obtain a new SV470 / 540 short block under warranty from his Kohler Rep...which he did.
He claimed that the new Kohler short blocks had corrected the issues of the earlier Courage engines and that I could trust the new engine to be reliable. So the plan to convert to the Briggs seemed to be more trouble and $$ than it was going to be worth.

As a result, I am back to square one...trying to replace the original SV600 parts that were discarded, with those from another broken SV600.

possum

Threads
Call around to lawnmower dealers with repair shops. They will have some. My dealer has a couple. They just lay there on the floor. looking like just what they are. Brand new engines that went clink.