Voltage drops when cranking...

CraigH

Threads
Right, so battery appears to be bad, charged on trickle charger all night (18 hours). It reads 12.8v at rest, turn the key with the plug out and lights off so no other drain on it and it reads a steady 9v. I'm guessing it should be higher than this with no load on it?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Right, so battery appears to be bad, charged on trickle charger all night (18 hours). It reads 12.8v at rest, turn the key with the plug out and lights off so no other drain on it and it reads a steady 9v. I'm guessing it should be higher than this with no load on it?
Shouldn't drop below 10.5VDC WHILE cranking starter, spark plug in and ready to mow.

New battery time.

Last edited:

CraigH

Threads
I'll get a new battery tomorrow hopefully and try that, them go from there.
Thanks for all the help so far.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
regardless any other problems, the battery is bad if flipping the lights on drops it to 9V. I have seen mechanics jump thru hoops trying to find an electrical problem because they believe a battery is good if the voltage is fine at rest. My Acura farted starting the other day, probably just the key fob but I had them check the battery capacity, and it was down to 60% so I replaced it. Just under 3 years old. Automotive batteries are 2 - 5 year life spans with the cars we have today. The battery in my battery backup for the computer failed the other day when the power went out. It is about 3 years old. How the USA will convert to battery from gasoline I have no idea. Going back to horses and oxen would make more sense. We could get to SF from NY by covered wagon again.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
regardless any other problems, the battery is bad if flipping the lights on drops it to 9V. I have seen mechanics jump thru hoops trying to find an electrical problem because they believe a battery is good if the voltage is fine at rest. My Acura farted starting the other day, probably just the key fob but I had them check the battery capacity, and it was down to 60% so I replaced it. Just under 3 years old. Automotive batteries are 2 - 5 year life spans with the cars we have today. The battery in my battery backup for the computer failed the other day when the power went out. It is about 3 years old. How the USA will convert to battery from gasoline I have no idea. Going back to horses and oxen would make more sense. We could get to SF from NY by covered wagon again.
Just saw an article last week were somebody in Florida has a 2014 Ford Escape EV that has a bad battery. Battery NLA, and if available would cost more than the vehicle is worth. So were does that vehicle end up now.

CraigH

Threads
Quick question on the battery....
It has a 26ah battery on the mower, is this the correct one? It's got a code on it saying 101r 26ah. The same battery as my other mower but with the terminals reversed. Just want to make sure as after all the other problems I've found so far, it wouldn't surprise me to find it's the wrong battery anyway.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just saw an article last week were somebody in Florida has a 2014 Ford Escape EV that has a bad battery. Battery NLA, and if available would cost more than the vehicle is worth. So were does that vehicle end up now.
Same recipe as cordless drills and now 0-turn mowers. Battery NLA, throw the item on the curb.

Don't see how these wonder clean battery devices are saving the planet??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Quick question on the battery....
It has a 26ah battery on the mower, is this the correct one? It's got a code on it saying 101r 26ah. The same battery as my other mower but with the terminals reversed. Just want to make sure as after all the other problems I've found so far, it wouldn't surprise me to find it's the wrong battery anyway.
99.9% of ride ons use the same battery ( thank heavens) and most have enough slack in the cable to take either a left or right hand terminals , MTD being about the sole exception where battery hand is important

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same recipe as cordless drills and now 0-turn mowers. Battery NLA, throw the item on the curb.

Don't see how these wonder clean battery devices are saving the planet??
They are a con to allow the sinners to go on sinning with a clean conscience .
The no 1 problem is too many people but as every system of government and every economic theory relies on an ever increasing population getting that through peoples minds will be near impossible particularly when those who profit most by having excess population will be pouring buckets of money into keeping the status quo .
After that we all have to moderate our lifestyles quite substantially, remember walking in the woods & camping for holidays and a "once in a lifetime " trip overseas ?
The fact that the EV makers are all pushing their product as the only solution , for no other reason than their personal greed shows that nothing has actually changed .
Hydrogen powered vehicles are the only truely green solution to transport apart from leg power, and only then if the hydrogen is from solar electrolysis of water .
I had hoped when the first Tesla Time Bomb burst into flames last year down here we might have rethought battery storage & gone with safer flow cell technology but no they are replacing it with a bigger one . Are we really the most intelligent species on the planet ?
Try keeping one under 85 deg C when the surrounding air is 40 + deg C
Back in my college days I remember all of the exciting work being done in medicine and the promise that we were on the cusp of being the last generation to die from "old age".
There were also some physists warning that if we keep on polluting the way we were then we could be the last generation to walk the planet .( no climate scientists in those days)
Looks very much like the latter will overcome the former .
We are getting ready for the 5th flood down the East Coast this season with the promise of a couple more when the spring rains come .
There was 2 floods in the previous 15 years that I have been here and both were minor.
The 4 this year have all been major or above major.

RayMcD

Threads
Craig, a battery should never drop below it's rated voltage. If it does likely it has a bad cell and it's time for a new one. Typical lead acid battery is ~2.2 volts per cell, 12volt lead acid battery at full charge will ready ~13 volts, if it drops below 12 volts it's time to replace. Cheers Ray