V Twin Not accelerating, runs terrible

Dpwill918

Forum Newbie
Threads
The plugs are wet. I could have moved something while wiping up the oil and old gasket material. The valve timing is off because I have air blowing out the intake. I assume I am setting the valves correctly by 1/4 inch below tdc and set both valves clearance at 0.005-0.006.
I need to take motor off again to check crank/cam timing mark but is there anything else I can check before pulling motor again.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The plugs are wet. I could have moved something while wiping up the oil and old gasket material. The valve timing is off because I have air blowing out the intake. I assume I am setting the valves correctly by 1/4 inch below tdc and set both valves clearance at 0.005-0.006.
I need to take motor off again to check crank/cam timing mark but is there anything else I can check before pulling motor again.

If I'm not mistaken, you can check the timing just be looking at when the flywheel magnets cross the coil. While you're there, double check the flywheel key.

Born2Mow

Threads
If you did nothing to the internals, then the timing should still be spot on.
I once worked on an engine the guy brought in "for just a tune-up". When it wouldn't crank I started looking deeper and found the cam timing was way off. After fixing the cam timing, it cranked right up and ran great. So I asked the guy when he picked it up, had he done any work ? (This particular engine had an intermediate gear between the crank and camshaft.) "Oh yes", he said, "that middle gear fell off when I removed the cover... but I put it right back the way it was."

?