Used Riding Mower Buying Checklist

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Hi Guys (and girls!),

I'm putting together a "Used Riding Mower Buying Checklist" and will be making it a free download for members of LMF. The checklist should be a complete list of ALL the things you should keep in mind when looking over a used mower before you buy.

Please respond to this thread with your ideas of things to add to the list along with any descriptions so we can make as comprehensive a checklist as possible, which in turn will be most valuable to our members.

I'll start with the items that came to mind and will add to the list.

Physical Condition Checks

Sheet Metal

Check for rust
Check for signs of body filler (to repair rust)
Check mounting bolts (missing, replaced, broken)
Check for dents

Paint
Original Paint?
Repainted? (Original color?)
Touch-up?
Chips in paint
Deep scratches or gouges
Faded
Bubbling

Plastic Body Panels
Check for cracks or dents
Check mounting bolts (missing, replaced, broken)
Check for missing panels or pieces

Basic Mechanical Check

Check the following items for condition and operation with the mower turned OFF:

Seat
Rubber mats/foot rests
Pedals
Steering wheel
Hour meter
Throttle
Electronic display
Fuel tank cap
Hood (open/close)
Lights (on/off/brightness/lens clarity)

Tires
Original?
Tread type
Tread wear
PSI check
Check for plugs
Wheel weights?
Check rims for rust or other damage

Steering
Power or Manual?
Any noise while turning wheel?
Test AWS (if equipped)
Check steering linkage

Engine
Check for oil/fluid leaksCheck spark plug wires
Check air filter condition
Check brand of filters (oem or aftermarket?)

Mower
Original mower?
Size?
Number of blades?
Check blades
Check belts (loose or frayed?)
Check linkage and raising/lowering deck
Check guide wheels (if equipped)
Check discharge/safety chute
Check deck mandrels for play in bearings or noise

Test Drive

Start engine
Cranking time:
Smoke on start-up? (blue? black? white?)

After warm-up:
Test throttle response from lowest RPM to highest RPM and back down
Test all forward and reverse gears
Test clutch (if equipped)
Test brakes
Test tight turning circle
Raise/lower mower deck
Engage mower
Change forward/reverse gears with mower engaged
Disengage mower
Check safety seat switch (if engaged)
Turn off engine
Test parking brake (if equipped)

--------

If you have any items to add or have any comments or suggestions on the items I listed, please respond and I will add them to this post! :thumbsup:

briggs

Threads
sounds good to me i would put check deck mandrels for play in the bearings or noise

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Added! :smile:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks very thorough...
the only thing I would comment on About the deck mandrels that briggs mentioned... It's hard to tell how bad they are with the belt tensioned, If possible loosen the belts to allow a feel of the bearing condition.
This may not be easy to do on a lot of riders, but I have seen shot spindles seem good and snug with the belts holding everything tight...
And while thinking of unloading shafts and spindles... If you can raise the wheels to allow for a check of axle bearings/bushings...

You can't cover everything in a general check list ... BUT I think you have hit on about everything conceivable and checkable... Great post... :smile:KennyV

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Before wasting much time trying to diagnose the condition, I have a few questions to ask the seller first.

And in this order. 1) do you have the operators manual? 2) did you by the mower new? 3) If the answer to 2) is no, 4) About how long have you owned the mower?

These questions often weed out the tractor traders that have cleaned, painted and put minimal expense into the system to make it so it can be turned and actually know very little about the history and condition.

And why ask about the operators manual. This usually tells the answer to 2) and that this person is organized enough to take care of a piece of equipment.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
SandburRanch...
Great point about the owners manual, it's something that you will need with any piece of equipment.:thumbsup:
I have the full work shop manuals for almost all my power equipment and most of the attachments.
Can't have too much printed/illustrated material... :smile:KennyV

briggs

Threads
Looks very thorough...
the only thing I would comment on About the deck mandrels that briggs mentioned... It's hard to tell how bad they are with the belt tensioned, If possible loosen the belts to allow a feel of the bearing condition.
This may not be easy to do on a lot of riders, but I have seen shot spindles seem good and snug with the belts holding everything tight...
And while thinking of unloading shafts and spindles... If you can raise the wheels to allow for a check of axle bearings/bushings...

You can't cover everything in a general check list ... BUT I think you have hit on about everything conceivable and checkable... Great post... :smile:KennyV

yes this is true i just bought one and everything looked and felt good ..I took it for a spin around the back lot and cut some grass ( got it almost finished )then all of the sudden the left side mandrel made a grinding sound and seized up .Its a little red turf track with a 32 inch deck ..No biggie i have 2 new ones in stock ...just frustrating...and yes i agree if you can lift it to check the axle bearings thats a good idea also i have an MTD with worn axle bushings not looking forward to replacing them ether i hope it didnt damage the case

cohen

Threads
Muhammad, thank you so much for that checklist. I just copy-pasted in into a file in my laptop. I'll drop my questions later in this forum.