Used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

DepDad

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do you guys do with your used oil? We have ours picked up by Safety Kleen. They use to pay for it but now charge to pick it up. Was talking to the guy that picked it up and he said a lot of the major oil companies bought from them and reprossed it. Like Mobile One, Valvoline to name a few. Said it cost less to process and was better than the crude. Don't know if this is true or not does anyone here know for sure.
I take mine to the local auto parts store (Advanced Auto) for those who live in Florida.

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
Drop it off at a car repair shop. Most use it for heating with there used oil furnaces.

I drop mine off at the back door of the local Auto Zone and then... run! grin.gif

A few years back I asked them if I could drop off some used motor oil and they said they would have to first make a photo copy of my driver's license.

I thought that was a bunch of BULLonly, so ever since then I just drop off all my gallon jugs of old oil at their back door and ... run!
laughing2.gif

TobyU

Threads
I drop mine off at the back door of the local Auto Zone and then... run! View attachment 67643

A few years back I asked them if I could drop off some used motor oil and they said they would have to first make a photo copy of my driver's license.

I thought that was a bunch of BULLonly, so ever since then I just drop off all my gallon jugs of old oil at their back door and ... run!
View attachment 67644
Try O'Reilly Auto parts. All they ask you to do is write your name down on their little oil ledger and say how much you gave. There might be a phone number or something but it doesn't matter, they don't check your ID to make sure the name you're writing down is really you. Saw a person it wasn't you it was a person

Jack17

Threads
This is completely off topic, but I'm fortunate to have enough land and dead trees to process for lumber to justify having my own sawmill...so, you can imagine where all my used oil goes?

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
Try O'Reilly Auto parts. All they ask you to do is write your name down on their little oil ledger and say how much you gave. There might be a phone number or something but it doesn't matter, they don't check your ID to make sure the name you're writing down is really you. Saw a person it wasn't you it was a person

Cool, I'll just sign Yosemite Sam!
Yosemite_Sam_2.gif

This is completely off topic, but I'm fortunate to have enough land and dead trees to process for lumber to justify having my own sawmill...so, you can imagine where all my used oil goes?

OK, I'll bite.... where?

ChrisBFRPKY

Threads
You guys do know those little 196cc China diesel engines will run fine on used motor oil? (Yes you'll need to filter it and remove any water before dumping it in the tank) They're horizontal shaft engines and can be mounted to garden tillers, go karts, mini bikes etc. If you can find one of the old Wheel Horse tractors I'm certain the little diesel would run a 32" mowing deck, maybe a bit more. Or possibly combine it with a cheap alternator to charge batteries for use with an off grid battery bank. Add a grid tie inverter and run the power back thru your meter etc? You're only limited by your imagination. Of course you could give away your used oil like most people do. There's always a free 55 gallon drum or two available in my area and I'm fairly rural here.

jigbuilder

Threads
my gas and diesel used engine oils along with my tractors used hyd oils goes to my small town tire shop for his old oil burner heater. I save it in 5 gal/2.5 gal/etc buckets it came in and drop it by their shop once a winter. I have a tractor and trailer barn to store the containers..

4getgto

Threads
1705850254749.png

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
1705850254749.png

And why is that "fooling mother nature"???

Status
Not open for further replies.