Used mower - high oil levels

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@Joe Kuhn So far no known damage. Oil usually on the dipstick at the low mark or at least touching the dipstick. When asked about it the reply is normally along the lines of didn't know, thought I could save some for later, I think the issue is people think it is a quart bottle not a pint bottle. so they think they should add half the bottle.

Joe Kuhn

Threads
@Joe Kuhn So far no known damage. Oil usually on the dipstick at the low mark or at least touching the dipstick. When asked about it the reply is normally along the lines of didn't know, thought I could save some for later, I think the issue is people think it is a quart bottle not a pint bottle. so they think they should add half the bottle.
Nothing like the old dipstick demonstration to bring their focus to the most important part, regardless of the bottle size, but you know this. "It's like your car..." is what I like to say. Now for Tesla owners, that's irrelevant. Hah!

1625162339711.png

Joe Kuhn

Threads
@ILENGINE - what do you tell people to steer them correctly? I don't want to be insulting, but then I want them to understand.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Next post up is used mower no oil on the stick.

slomo

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Joe, you basically have to explain to them how to check the oil, and show them where the oil level is supposed to be and where their oil level actually is. But you also need to keep in mind that just because you can explain to the customer what they did wrong and need to correct the issue, you can't make them understand.

Most of the time I have to add the required oil to do any testing to diagnose their issues. You wouldn't believe the number of mowers that I get in that were just purchased that day or a couple of days ago, and have the fuel tank half full of water.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see a LOT of people, when they check the oil they invert the stick so the oil runs down it making it look fuller. "See it's right on the full mark" LOL.

slomo

Joe Kuhn

Threads
Joe, you basically have to explain to them how to check the oil, and show them where the oil level is supposed to be and where their oil level actually is. But you also need to keep in mind that just because you can explain to the customer what they did wrong and need to correct the issue, you can't make them understand.

Most of the time I have to add the required oil to do any testing to diagnose their issues. You wouldn't believe the number of mowers that I get in that were just purchased that day or a couple of days ago, and have the fuel tank half full of water.
Just did a training exercise with the neighbor boy. I showed him where the level was, had him wipe the stick with a rag and check it again. I think (hope) he's got it. We'll see when he's done mowing. I'll have him check it again as a test and to show him that it doesn't change with one mowing.

Water in the fuel tank is pretty unbelievable.

I had a guy at work bring me his generator that wouldn't start. It turned out to be a low oil level which is sensed internally and prevents the engine from running. Added a little oil and I was done.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I see a LOT of people, when they check the oil they invert the stick so the oil runs down it making it look fuller. "See it's right on the full mark" LOL.

slomo
I don't think there is a week sometimes where I am not either adding a cup of oil to a pushmower because they either added half the bottle, or decided that the 16 ounce bottle that comes with the mower isn't good enough so they go purchase their own oil and then dump in the entire quart which I then have to pump out. Add in the cup or more of water about every two weeks and things get interesting.

Joe Kuhn

Threads

slomo
Thanks for your reminder. I better make that clear to the neighbor boy who is mowing for the family down the street with a girl that has cancer. I've been mowing their lawn for a month to help them out and just handed the task off to this boy who's looking for work. They gave him $20 last week.