Upper belt no longer turning

mdzzz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just found this forum! I have a 721 with a Kubota water cooled gas engine. I think it's a 2000 model. Started hearing a high pitched squeak intermittently while cutting yesterday. Intermittent soon became a constant high pitched scream when the fan belt quit turning while the pulleys were still turning, at least some of them. Something obviously locked up so I shut it down. Re-started it and made it a hundred feet before it locked down again. Finally made it to the garage after shutting it down and restarting a couple more times. Today there was coolant under the mower. I'm assuming this is all related? Any help would be appreciated. The local GH dealer is 40 miles away and 4 to 6 weeks behind, I don't really want to wait that long.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

The place to start is with the belts...
Loosen them all up and check for a failed bearing in any of the accessories that they drive...
But from your description My first check would be the water pump... you will likely feel a bit of side to side & up and down play on the shaft... Post back with what you find... Include pictures if you can... most folks here do not get to see water cooled mower engines...
Should be an easy fix... Check the belt for damage and remember to go back with a good 50/50 antifreeze... that also will give you a fresh anti rust/corrosion package in your coolant. :smile:KennyV

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Agree with Kenny. I would also add that when you find the problem I would also replace the belts which will be flat spotted from the starting and locking. I am not sure on this model, but check the belt tension idler if it has one. I have found that they freeze up because most people do not lug them.

mdzzz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kenny and Rivets. It will be this weekend before I will have a chance to take a look at the mower again. It looks like there's a water pump and an alternator driven by this belt and both appear to be fairly easy to access. Replacing the belt itself is a job I tackled last summer and I don't look forward to having to do that again.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you go back together.... Keep in mind, that an Over tight drive belt is the usual Cause of bearing failure... No need to make your alt/water pump belt too tight... :smile:KennyV