Unresponsive script that is causing Firefox to hang

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
This should have been resolved last week. Still having issues? Is the yellow bar showing?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t know what the yellow bar is, so I guess I haven’t seen one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No the unresponsive script warning is not coming up.
But the pages hang for anything up to a full minute till the advertisement loads.
SO the page opens with all of the forum text and forum graphics quickly
Usually the side bar adds load first
then everything comes to a halt while the adds that appear horizontal load.
I tried using a fresh copy of Firefox with no browsing history and the cashe cleared and that loaded quite fine.
SO the problem appears to be Google snooping around on the hard drive to work out which advertisements to load.
Most of the side bar ( vertical ) adds seem to be general , forex trading , generic drugs, womens fashion and other junk sold world wide
All of the horizontal adds are location specific and in my case my computer specific because it is showing adds for stings I have looked at on ebay , gumtree and stuff I have ordered from my suppliers directly from their web portal.
On the computer with nothing on it the adds in the vertical & horizontal containers were roughly the same.
For example this morning I hit the unread tag then opened the 35 posts in separate tabs.
This took about 2 minutes to do because the unread posts tab continually hung.
I then went to the toilet , then into the kitchen, made a coffee ( 3 minutes ) put the oats on to cook , came back in and the tabs were still loading.
Struggled through the first 5, then took the oats out of the microwave ( 5 minutes cooking time ) came back and according to firefox all the tabs had finished loading.
When going through them it was still sluggish till I got to the 13th tab by which time the forum behaved as it used to.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
No the unresponsive script warning is not coming up.
But the pages hang for anything up to a full minute till the advertisement loads.
SO the page opens with all of the forum text and forum graphics quickly
Usually the side bar adds load first
then everything comes to a halt while the adds that appear horizontal load.
I tried using a fresh copy of Firefox with no browsing history and the cashe cleared and that loaded quite fine.
SO the problem appears to be Google snooping around on the hard drive to work out which advertisements to load.
Most of the side bar ( vertical ) adds seem to be general , forex trading , generic drugs, womens fashion and other junk sold world wide
All of the horizontal adds are location specific and in my case my computer specific because it is showing adds for stings I have looked at on ebay , gumtree and stuff I have ordered from my suppliers directly from their web portal.
On the computer with nothing on it the adds in the vertical & horizontal containers were roughly the same.
For example this morning I hit the unread tag then opened the 35 posts in separate tabs.
This took about 2 minutes to do because the unread posts tab continually hung.
I then went to the toilet , then into the kitchen, made a coffee ( 3 minutes ) put the oats on to cook , came back in and the tabs were still loading.
Struggled through the first 5, then took the oats out of the microwave ( 5 minutes cooking time ) came back and according to firefox all the tabs had finished loading.
When going through them it was still sluggish till I got to the 13th tab by which time the forum behaved as it used to.

Have you tried clearing your browser history?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the fresh copy of Firefox ( which had no history naturally ) the problem was substantially less.
OTOH my history is very important as I regularly need to go back & reopen old windows that took a lot searching to find in the first place.
Finding information on old obscure mowers in order to repair or purchase parts is very time consuming.
However I know when a mower came in for repair thus it is easy to go to the browser history for the week that followed to find where I got the information / parts from.
If Google needs to snoop back through my entire browsing history then it is being way too invasive.
Neither I nor Rivets are on social media & neither of us would have a face book profile so perhaps that is why Google takes so long snooping as I do not exist in cyber space.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
This should have been resolved last week. Still having issues? Is the yellow bar showing?
I have not seen the yellow bar this week.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally I haven't had any problem lately either but of course I run a script blocker in the first place. Itd saying it is block 8 scripts but only 7 is showing, one is not showing for some reason as it is hidden. The default ones showed are the blocked ones.
LAWN.png