Mulching uneven cut at blades center

SS369

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have an Exmark 50 inch Triton deck with the mulching kit installed. The challenge I have is that as I cut the mower leaves the center section of each blade's cut higher than the outside of each blade's cut. Not from side to side as I have in so many places. All the settings are factory as far as I can measure and tire pressures are right on.
No matter new blades or resharpened older ones I still get this effect.
Factory mulching blades and aftermarket blades with serrated "wings" such as Gator's.

I have tried slow cuts with blade speeds high, fast cuts with low blades speeds and every combination I can think of.
The dealer says slow down, cut twice, etc.. Not the answer I need.

Any suggestions or help?
Thanks in advance!

SS

Mower manic

Threads
I have found that it occurs when I'm trying to cut tall grass short. Raising the cutting height resolved this for me. I find that if I cut a little more frequently I don't have this problem.
I think it's caused by the front of the deck being considerably lower than the blade and close to the blade edge. The grass is bent over when the blade hits the grass or passes over it. The trailing edge of the blade is ineffective when going forward.
Other than trying a blade with a different design, i don;t think there is much else you can do.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Set the Front of your deck at least 1/2 inch Lower than the Rear...
That will give rotary blades the best cut... :smile:KennyV

SS369

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Mower manic.
I cut most of the grass I service at 3 inches being mix grass yards. ;-) My own yard gets the most frequent cutting and there still lies the challenge. It I cut once a week without fail.
Have you any suggestions to a blade type?

And thank you KennyV.
How is it that the factory trained techs won't give you this type of suggestions?
Are there drawbacks to your suggestion? Hate to do the mod and find out that I am ruining a yard.

SS

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Almost all mower decks are set up this way... & have been for a Long time... but there are a few that don't and they are those that do not have a perfect cut...
Slightly elevate the rear of your deck and leave the front to establish the cut height... :smile:KennyV

SS369

Forum Newbie
Threads
The logic is there and I will give this a try. I'll be back....
Thank you all very much.

SS

SS369

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I cut today after making the necessary deck adjustments. Actually tried even lower than you recommended. The slightly higher in the rear 1/4" made no appreciable difference so I adjusted it more. Finally with 3/4" inch difference I got what I would call a "coved" cut. That wouldn't do so I returned it to 1/4".

There was some improvement, meaning that the strips of poorly cut grass seemed to be narrower and located closer to the center blade's path of cut. Two pronounced strips that had to be double cut.

Cutting in the same directions as the first cut did not eliminate the strips, only turning around to re-cut did the trick.
These are blades sold to me by the Exmark dealer and are sharp all the way to the ends (square).

I find it hard to believe that everyone out there with an Exmark Zero turn equipped with the mulching kit is experiencing this. Or are they?

SS

Cajun Ken

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the eXmark Quest 24/50 with the mulching kit, and have not experienced the problem you are having.

Turf & tree

Threads
Sorry for the post 2 months late. I have a 48" Vantage with the micro mulch setup. I use Oregon standard mulching blades on it. Have a great cut no matter what height. Mower was adjusted by the dealer when I bought it. Since I have some downtime for winter I will be checking everything out. I have an issue with 2 of the grease fittings on this machine. Good luck!