Two cycle engine?

fritz1255

Threads
Does anyone make two cycle lawnmower engines any more? I have a two cycle Snapper that I inherited from my dad which I believe is 1980's vintage. I use it to mow a hill on the side of my yard that is at about a 30 to 45 degree angle and about 100 yards long. When I used a four cycle mower with splash lubrication, the engine was completely shot after five seasons, whereas we are at about six seasons and counting on the two cycle, and it was not new when I got it. I don't think it's in imminent need of replacement, but is there any source for these?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The EPA emission regulations are so strict that no 2 stroke can make tier IV let alone tier V
OTOH lots of 2 stroke Lawn boys out there and enough parts supply to keep them running for the next 20 years

fritz1255

Threads
Yes I thought as much, emissions regulations. Guess I won't worry about it until this engine craters.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I resurect a lot of 2 stroke Victa mowers to sell to my customers with steep slopes to mow.
To date they have all been really happy with them.
The problem is to convince them that the mowers actually need to be maintained in order to start first pull every time & to get the customers to recognise a flooded engine .
So now I have them in my data base and I call them in every 5 years to have the O rings , PVC fuel lines & air filter changed , all of $ 20 in parts .
Usually the blades are gone as well but getting customer to understand that a blade can be worn out & still cut their grass beautifully is a bridge too far .

upupandaway

Threads
I have a two cycle Snapper... I don't think it's in imminent need of replacement, but is there any source for these?
Depends- if yours is a Wisconsin engine, then it is awfully hard to find parts but take care of it and it should last many more years. If it is a Tecumseh you should find parts as needed.

fritz1255

Threads
Depends- if yours is a Wisconsin engine, then it is awfully hard to find parts but take care of it and it should last many more years. If it is a Tecumseh you should find parts as needed.
It's a Tecumseh. I only use this mower to do this hill (about 30 minutes each week) so hopefully it will last a good bit longer.