Turf tiger

plateauman57

Threads
Hi dj,
Fortunately I have both JD and Scag dealers 20 minutes away, both dealers are long term, doing well, and have clean heavily stocked show rooms. The problem with JD is too many different models both ZTRs and riders which is confusing to some buyers. I have gone along with several perspective buyers to assist them in making a decision on their next machine and felt their stress trying to sort out what machine would suit them better. Relying on a salespersons spin sometimes makes the decision more difficult as they may want to move a particular machine that doesn't fit the buyers needs or desires.
It is also difficult to compare machines and their specs without having basic knowledge of the components involved. Most of the time the amount of dollars dictates the final decision.
I encourage folk to evaluate a companies service and parts departments when making a decision on what make machine to purchase. I'm a retired mech so I'm fairly aware of the quality of service and parts departments.
The JD dealer has 95% JD product plus Husqvarna hand held products, whereas the Scag dealer has Exmark, Toro, Simplicity and several low end rider lines along with Stihl hand held products. Although it seems like too many product lines, the different colors of machine lines seems to make it easier for a customer to make a decision. I suspect that now with a Tractor Supply Company store close by, the Scag dealer will make some changes in their showroom. The JD dealer has been dealing long term with having Home Depot and Lowes for a while. When it comes to warranties, one must read the fine print, however longer warranties have always been a strong contributing sales factor.
Just my spin on things!!!:laughing::laughing:
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Thanks mad mackie. I agree that the more I look at the more confused I am. I still have mine on line for sale so maybe I'll get lucky. JD isn't going to trade with me to please me so I'll wait to see what scag says.

Take care.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks mad mackie. I agree that the more I look at the more confused I am. I still have mine on line for sale so maybe I'll get lucky. JD isn't going to trade with me to please me so I'll wait to see what scag says.

Take care.

I had a strong feeling that the JD dealer wouldn't be interested, my local JD dealer is the same way. Is your Scag dealer a new business or recently took on Scag?
I finally got all my equipment back into my trailer today. I mover a few things around as my Stihl backpack blower had been in the way of my wood chipper when taking it out and putting it back into place. Gotta call my customers to let them know I'm still alive and willing!!!!:laughing:

plateauman57

Threads
I had a strong feeling that the JD dealer wouldn't be interested, my local JD dealer is the same way. Is your Scag dealer a new business or recently took on Scag?
I finally got all my equipment back into my trailer today. I mover a few things around as my Stihl backpack blower had been in the way of my wood chipper when taking it out and putting it back into place. Gotta call my customers to let them know I'm still alive and willing!!!!:laughing:

Yeah, where I bought my scag they are no longer a scag dealer and the newest scag dealer has been open only a month. I have someone interested in mine so hopefully he buys it and then I will have the big decision whether to go back to a scag or get a JD. thrill thrill.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hopefully you can move your Turf Tiger soon. I highly recommend the Tiger Cat or a Hustler X-ONE as I have both but each has its own specific use. My Tiger Cub has a 48" deck with a collection system which I use 90% of the time and my Hustler X-ONE has a 60" rear discharge deck and is used for cemetery service as it will trim close on both sided of the deck and not blow clippings onto the grave stones. The X-ONE is available with many deck options and comes with a Kawasaki FX series engine. Some models on the Tiger Cat also come with Kawasaki FX engines, I highly recommend the Kawasaki FX series engines no matter what make of machine you purchase.
Later

Last edited:

plateauman57

Threads
Hopefully you can move your Turf Tiger soon. I highly recommend the Tiger Cat or a Hustler X-ONE as I have both but each has its own specific use. My Tiger Cub has a 48" deck with a collection system which I use 90% of the time and my Hustler X-ONE has a 60" rear discharge deck and is used for cemetery service as it will trim close on both sided of the deck and not blow clippings onto the grave stones. The X-ONE is available with many deck options and comes with a Kawasaki FX series engine. Some models on the Tiger Cat also come with Kawasaki FX engines, I highly recommend the Kawasaki FX series engines no matter what make of machine you purchase.
Later

Thanks for your input. I appear to have mine sold. :dance1: suppose to meet the guy Monday morning to close the deal. I want a scag but due to my service concerns I'm leaning toward a deere. A lot closer, good service dept, and better warranty. They have kawasaki engines I believe. I am somewhat concerned about the drive systems tho after chatting with you and others.

I'm going into it as if I've never owned one and take my time deciding which to buy. Don't be surprised if I go back with a scag. Lol

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was on the JD website and found it very time consuming to navigate and the specs too vague. Engine make and drives not specified. If you have a Hustler dealer near by, go and check out a Hustler X-ONE.

grayhorse

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a turf tiger it is a few years old, it will not start. turns over acts like it wants to but will not fire.:confused2: