Turf tiger

plateauman57

Threads
I'm selling my 2013 turf tiger (61" deck with 35 hp Briggs/vanguard). I don't mow anywhere near what I use to so wanting to downsize. Only used it half of last season. Am wanting a 50 something inch deck and was wondering if I should stay with the turf tiger or go with one of the others. Any suggestions?

Champ

Threads
I'm selling my 2013 turf tiger (61" deck with 35 hp Briggs/vanguard). I don't mow anywhere near what I use to so wanting to downsize. Only used it half of last season. Am wanting a 50 something inch deck and was wondering if I should stay with the turf tiger or go with one of the others. Any suggestions?

Never owned a Turf Tiger, Scag or zero turn until a few days ago. Bought a 52" Tiger Cat. Turf Tiger seemed a bit over kill for a 52". Tiger Cat seemed perfect. Like a mini Turf Tiger. Can't take delivery for a week or so. Can't wait.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see a few lawn guys on the move as things dry out and warm up. One that I know has replaced his two Turf Tigers with 52" Tiger Cats, I'll run into him on my travels and chat with him. I know that he had high time 61" Turf Tigers, but I don't think that he traded them in to the local Scag dealer. I installed the battery, fueled and fired up my Tiger Cub, gotta get the model train stuff out of my trailer this weekend and put the brackets etc and machines back in. I've got more dethatching jobs lined up than I ever expected. Probably should order more blades for both my Scag and Hustler as spring cleanup is rough on blades.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

plateauman57

Threads
Thanks for the replies. Went to my scag dealer today and talked about trading in my turf tiger. I know I would be better off selling mine straight out but with mowing season upon us I don't really have the time to wait for mine to sell. Plus most people want the dealer financing instead of putting out the cash.

I am looking at the 52" cheeta. I figured it is a step down from the turf tiger and a step above the tiger cat so he would be more willing to do an even swap. It's a small dealer so it wont be as easy for him to sell because it's used and dealer financing won't be an option.

If this doesn't work out I will either travel farther to a big scag dealer to see if they might trade OR visit my local John Deere dealer which is closer than any of them. I've been a scag owner for 8 years but service means a lot to me and the JD Dealer provides excellent service (as I know this from purchasing a Gator there). My scag dealer is no longer so I'm driving farther for one that's only been open a month. Maybe that will work to my advantage, I dunno.

Any good, bad, or ugly inputs on JD?

plateauman57

Threads
Never owned a Turf Tiger, Scag or zero turn until a few days ago. Bought a 52" Tiger Cat. Turf Tiger seemed a bit over kill for a 52". Tiger Cat seemed perfect. Like a mini Turf Tiger. Can't take delivery for a week or so. Can't wait.

What made you choose the cat over the cheeta? If you don't mind me asking.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would keep running the Turf Tiger, you are going to loose lots of money!!! But at least talk with both the new Scag dealer and the JD dealer and then have a better idea of how much you will loose trading down, it might scare you into keeping the Turf Tiger!!!!
I assume that choosing a Cheetah is a money thing more than a machine selection. Selling or trading a late model machine is not easy particularly in the lower model direction. Cheetah has hydrostatic drive units and several Cheetah owners have indicated their dislikes for the response of these units here on LMF.
Got my Tiger Cub out of storage today, got lots of dethatching to do!!! JRCO 46" front mounted dethatcher, great attachment, does a super job!!!:thumbsup: Check out my albums for pics.

Last edited:

Champ

Threads
What made you choose the cat over the cheeta? If you don't mind me asking.

Did not think the driver suspension compartment was any better than the suspension seat. I Liked the separate pump/motor, like the TT, better than the all in one transaxle. Seemed like the Cat was built on the same principles as the TT on a smaller scale while the Cheetah went in a new direction.

Champ

Threads
I would keep running the Turf Tiger, you are going to loose lots of money!!! But at least talk with both the new Scag dealer and the JD dealer and then have a better idea of how much you will loose trading down, it might scare you into keeping the Turf Tiger!!!!

Have to agree with Mad Mackie. You got it. Great machine. Use it.

plateauman57

Threads
I assume that choosing a Cheetah is a money thing more than a machine selection. Selling or trading a late model machine is not easy particularly in the lower model direction. Cheetah has hydrostatic drive units and several Cheetah owners have indicated their dislikes for the response of these units here on LMF.
Got my Tiger Cub out of storage today, got lots of dethatching to do!!! JRCO 46" front mounted dethatcher, great attachment, does a super job!!!:thumbsup: Check out my albums for pics.

First of all thanks for your info. I had a tiger cub for six years with no major problems and loved it. That's why I went with scag again when I up sized even tho JD Was so much closer.

Aren't the JD commercial 900 series hydrostatic? That's the one I was looking at. Money is not really the issue. I understand I'm going to take a loss trading down. I went from mowing 8 acres to 2 1/2 acres because I turned the other into pasture. So I need something smaller and lighter. As someone said I thought the turf tiger In the 52" was a little much.

Am going to head to JD in a few and the scag dealer is suppose to call me today. From what I was reading JDs warranty seems to be better. Scag has a 500 hour/3 year, which ever comes first except for a few parts that are lifetime. JDs is 3 year/1500 hours and the first two years is unlimited hours. My JD dealer is 30 mins away, the scag close to an hour and if he doesn't last (only been opened a month) then the closest scag is 1 1/2 hours away.

Decisions decisions.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi dj,
Fortunately I have both JD and Scag dealers 20 minutes away, both dealers are long term, doing well, and have clean heavily stocked show rooms. The problem with JD is too many different models both ZTRs and riders which is confusing to some buyers. I have gone along with several perspective buyers to assist them in making a decision on their next machine and felt their stress trying to sort out what machine would suit them better. Relying on a salespersons spin sometimes makes the decision more difficult as they may want to move a particular machine that doesn't fit the buyers needs or desires.
It is also difficult to compare machines and their specs without having basic knowledge of the components involved. Most of the time the amount of dollars dictates the final decision.
I encourage folk to evaluate a companies service and parts departments when making a decision on what make machine to purchase. I'm a retired mech so I'm fairly aware of the quality of service and parts departments.
The JD dealer has 95% JD product plus Husqvarna hand held products, whereas the Scag dealer has Exmark, Toro, Simplicity and several low end rider lines along with Stihl hand held products. Although it seems like too many product lines, the different colors of machine lines seems to make it easier for a customer to make a decision. I suspect that now with a Tractor Supply Company store close by, the Scag dealer will make some changes in their showroom. The JD dealer has been dealing long term with having Home Depot and Lowes for a while. When it comes to warranties, one must read the fine print, however longer warranties have always been a strong contributing sales factor.
Just my spin on things!!!:laughing::laughing: