Turf Tiger Fuse Amperage

javiebrock

Threads
Howdy. Had a shop repower my old STT61-22Ka with a new Vanguard 23hp engine a couple of years ago. I have diagnosed a problem with it blowing fuses and the culprit appears to be the PTO clutch which is showing a short (zero continuity on the windings). Bought a new clutch and ready to install but in doing this little project it appears the shop that put the engine in combined the amp meter and the clutch wires into a single fuse holder and they used a 30-amp fuse. Everything I see in the manual points to those being separately fused with 20-amp fuses. The current fuse holder is melted and needs to be replaced. I would like to do it right, can any of you Scag electrical wizards help a brother out? Another oddity is there appear to be three wires instead of two going into the plug to the PTO clutch. The Scag wiring diagram only shows two - one positive and one negative...

BC4gwkto

Forum Newbie
Threads
Howdy. Had a shop repower my old STT61-22Ka with a new Vanguard 23hp engine a couple of years ago. I have diagnosed a problem with it blowing fuses and the culprit appears to be the PTO clutch which is showing a short (zero continuity on the windings). Bought a new clutch and ready to install but in doing this little project it appears the shop that put the engine in combined the amp meter and the clutch wires into a single fuse holder and they used a 30-amp fuse. Everything I see in the manual points to those being separately fused with 20-amp fuses. The current fuse holder is melted and needs to be replaced. I would like to do it right, can any of you Scag electrical wizards help a brother out? Another oddity is there appear to be three wires instead of two going into the plug to the PTO clutch. The Scag wiring diagram only shows two - one positive and one negative...

Mr. Jeff 01

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Turf Tiger 2 I use has (68 hours on it) and it blew the main fuse after 15 hours and I called the dealer and was told to put a new fuse in and no issues after 48 hours 🤷🏻‍♂️. It makes no sense but, what do I know? 🤔.

Bertrrr

Threads
If it's burning the fuse there is a short to ground most likely a larger amp fuse is not the answer, look at the wire and check it to ground , it's touching off somewhere.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Turf Tiger 2 I use has (68 hours on it) and it blew the main fuse after 15 hours and I called the dealer and was told to put a new fuse in and no issues after 48 hours 🤷🏻‍♂️. It makes no sense but, what do I know? 🤔.
Jeff,
Your car fuses are either under the bonnet or inside the cab where it is warm & dry all the time
Your mowers fuses are out in the open , even if you keep it garaged overnight , you will get condensation.
Unless you have greased the fuse box & the fuse you will get corrosion .
All metal oxides are poisonous, abrasive , electrically & thermally insulating .
Thus when power is pushed through a fuse it causes a voltage drop with increases the current which blows the fuse.
All of the blade & pin style fuse holders are "self cleaning" which is PR speak for scrapes the crud off when pulled out & pushed back in .
I could go on about corrosion currents generated by the internal stresses locked into the parts during manufacture but very few will understand & I do not get paid to teach people the physics that they should have learned in high school

Mr. Jeff 01

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow yes grease helps a lot and I use it every year on my electrical plugs for my Boss plow so it doesn’t corrode or rust and cause a voltage drop and short the fuse out. I get it. Thanks for the reminder and the issues that can cause these problems. Sometimes we just need to be reminded.👍😁

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Should be using dielectric grease.

And as the original post I would had rewired to have two fuses with one beings 20 amp and the PTO fuse being 7.5 amp or 10 amp. No need need for it to be any larger as the pulls a max of 5 amps normally.

slydog

Threads
Jeff,
Your car fuses are either under the bonnet or inside the cab where it is warm & dry all the time
Your mowers fuses are out in the open , even if you keep it garaged overnight , you will get condensation.
Unless you have greased the fuse box & the fuse you will get corrosion .
All metal oxides are poisonous, abrasive , electrically & thermally insulating .
Thus when power is pushed through a fuse it causes a voltage drop with increases the current which blows the fuse.
All of the blade & pin style fuse holders are "self cleaning" which is PR speak for scrapes the crud off when pulled out & pushed back in .
I could go on about corrosion currents generated by the internal stresses locked into the parts during manufacture but very few will understand & I do not get paid to teach people the physics that they should have learned in high school
Jeff, a Scag Turf Tiger 2 is a ZTR zero turn radius mower, not a car, I'd refer him to a schematic of his electrical circuits for his application. Can be dwnld from Scag website.