Tuff Torq 46

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Tuff Torq uses 5W50 synthetic. PN 187Q0899000 3 Liter bottle.

SAE 20w50 Synthetic works, just a little heavy for winter time use.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also a couple optional M8-125 Flange screws can be added for drain plugs. Does require opening up the transaxle to drill out the two partially casted drain holes. Since they are optional Tuff Torq only cast their location; unless, the equipment OEM required them.

But opening does give you a chance to check the overall condition of the unit.

JD X485SE

Threads
Hello ..
I am sure this has been raised before .. my apologies for doing it again..
I have a couple of ride on mowers that have Hydro drive gearboxes.. Tuff Torq T46 types
They drive ok for awhile .. then refuse to go up slopes ..
I have renewed the drive belt and idler pulleys .. and shall replace the oil ..
Without taking the boxes to pieces .. which looking at UTube etc is way beyond my skills .. is there anything else I can do ..
Plus .. What oil do you recommend for me to use ..
Thanks ..
P.S .. As someone has said .. Sell them and buy a better one .. But ..As I do not have the resources to that .. I cannot .. Hence me asking ..
The TT K46 was designed to be used in a small rear engine rider mowing flat ground. Period. No hills. No pulling/towing ANYTHING.

gbrewer

Forum Newbie
Threads
After much research, measuring my friends Craftsman of the same year, I found that I needed to move the K46 3/4 inch back toward the drawbar.
In the picture that was posted you will notice a hole in the side of the drawbar and above the transmission mounting "ears". This hole is directly above the rear
"ear" hole for the 5/16 inch mounting bolt. I used this hole as reference and redrilled the frame and moved the me-made brackets back 3/4 inch. The antitorque bracket
ended up where it was supposed to be. (The inside antitorque bracket had sheared one of the vertical body bolts to the K46 front; I drilled and tapped this hole and
renewed the body bolts.)
Job complete. Tested complete. Lesson learned: Mark and measure twice and fix it right the first time.
Thanks for all your input. It is all appreciated.

kbowley

Threads
The TT K46 is used in front engine riding mowers designed to mow grass. They are a fine transmission but not made for heavy towing nor using implements such as a plow. A snow Blower should be fine, but I wouldn't put a blower on a lawn tractor, they don't work well with the small tires and light chassis. It is rated for about 150 Lb. Ft. of wheel torque depending on the tire size. with the lower gearing for 20" tires, 170 Lb. Ft., 18" tires, 131 Lb. Ft. The specs can be found here.

JD X485SE

Threads
Funny most the riders I see with the K46 have the engine in the front.
Sad,actually. Any time you see a k46 on anything other than a RER, the manufacturer made the decision to cut corners. And almost all of them did that very thing.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Sad,actually. Any time you see a k46 on anything other than a RER, the manufacturer made the decision to cut corners. And almost all of them did that very thing.
The Tuff Torq K46 is nothing to write home about, but in reality, see very few problems overall. They are not made to tow or for hills, this is where some people go wrong. Rarely, thy take a crap after say 20 plus years , and it is the end of the line.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The way most users abuse their mowers I am surprised there isn't more failures.

As long people uses common sense and listen to us repair shops where see the end results of things like trying to pull automobiles and boats around these transaxle will usually hold fairly well. In the 15 yrs I have been servicing mowers professional I have only two failed K46s. One with the broken axle that the wheel fell off as I raised the rear and the other where they trying to use the mower as bush hog. Both were over 15 yrs old at the time.

Yes I heard stories of broken axles being common and other failure but I just haven't seen it here. I think the worst I have seen other than the one broken axle is water in the oil problem from pressure washing a couple unit that had baling twine wrap around the input shaft. What a mess to clean out.

Even GTI plastic cased transaxle are doing fairly well if maintained. I got that don't like to go into neutral but that is the result of lots used and a linkage is worn. Awaiting new ends for the last two months meanwhile the customer just keeps on going otherwise as he don't need to push it around except when bring it to shop for deck repairs.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've had a few customers want me to work on 100 series JD mowers with the "slows down on hills" death whine. I won't even take them in the shop. Local JD dealers quote ridiculous high price to replace trans because they don't want to mess with it.