Troy Built Bronco 42" Won't turn over

Gord Baker

Threads
StarTech has it correct. Note: ACR has nothing to do with oil. Reset the valves cold @ 0.006" (6 thou.) then do the ACR test.

SharpAndCunning

Forum Newbie
Threads
10 hours in 2 years , really ?
We can only work with the information you provide
Average mow for a residential ride on used on a 1 acre block is 2 hrs a mow x 30 mows a year = 60 hours x 2 years = 120 hrs
Mowers should be serviced at the end of every season so the minimum number of services it should have had is 2
First service ( usually at some where between 10 & 30 hrs ) always includes valve lash adjustment because they can settle a bit after the first few uses .
And some times they can be wrong from the start because now that the rocker covers are siliconed on even good dealers no longer check them during pre delivery .
So sorry if it offends you but honest opinions is what comes from this little black duck and they have to be based on what the little black duck reads.

Sitting in a shed that is not properly ventilated can promote corrosion in the battery cables as well as at the ends where they bolt on , particulalry if they have not been greased or otherwise sealed form the elements by the owner.
And to be brutally honest, all new Troy Builts are throw away mowers designed to look pretty but just outlast warranttee .

So the mower was used once last year at the end of the season, has sat covered outside, and was used 2 or 3 times beginning of this year, until it stopped starting. I've been told it was running fine, no noises, no backfires, nothing abnormal, and a couple days later it went to start and it stops like it does now. It's been sitting now for most of this season.

I suppose I was a little ambitious when I said 2 year old mower, it's closer to 1.5 years old. When I am there in a couple of days, I will check the battery connections and those to the solenoid.
StarTech has it correct. Note: ACR has nothing to do with oil. Reset the valves cold @ 0.006" (6 thou.) then do the ACR test.
Please confirm, are you saying both valves should be at .006"? Because they are currently at .005" and .008".

SharpAndCunning

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I found the manual, for the Intek 310000 and 330000 series engines. Intake .003" tp .005". Exhaust .005" to .007".

So, looks like the valves were both set at or above the upper limits. Not sure that .001 would cause the ACR to not work. Can anyone confirm? Is it better to try and set the valves at the lower end of the spec?

SharpAndCunning

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anybody? If the valves are .001 or .002 out of spec, is that enough for the ACR to not function?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Probably not, it may not open as far.... but go since they are OUT of spec... adjust them to 3 and 5....

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Valves should be checked or adjusted yearly for a good running engine. Doesn't take much time to slap a feeler in there and see what you have.

That is a used mower. Nothing new about it.

Valves out of spec will cause issues. As the others said, check your valves out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
drop the valve lash down to .001" to .002" for the purpose of checking
If the engine hangs on the compression stroke then the cam is deceased

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would load test the battery and clean/check + and - connections.