Troy Bilt TB30R Transmission drive belt replacement?

4Corners

Threads
  • / Troy Bilt TB30R Transmission drive belt replacement?
It's all bolted together and will come apart if enough bolts are taken out, just put it back the same way (unless it was screwed up to begin with)......left to loosen, right to tighten!

Haha! Lefty loosey is ingrained in my psyche by my Dad! Which bolts in the attached schematics loosen the unit as a whole?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once you have it off the variable assembly it should come from both pulleys easily.

4Corners

Threads
FYI the old belt is off. It was broken. I’m just trying to get the new one on.

4Corners

Threads
Well I don’t see any way to get the new belt past the guides on the engine pulley so that baby’s coming off tomorrow with an impact wrench.

davetaylor

Forum Newbie
Threads
hate to revive this thread but does one attack these belts from underneath or from disassembling the top?

Dinghie1

Forum Newbie
Threads
hate to revive this thread but does one attack these belts from underneath or from disassembling the top?
I did it from underneath. I put the mower up on chairs so I could work under it. Stay safe!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Underneath, unless you remove the engine, which doesn’t help much.

smithmiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in the middle of doing the same belt on the same mower. Will let you know how I make out.

smithmiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in the middle of doing the same belt on the same mower. Will let you know how I make out.
I got the belt on but the brake won't depress enough to start it. The belt is wrong. It's a 35 inch and I need a 35.38 belt. I ordered one from advanced auto this afternoon and it will be in in the morning. I'm hoping that little bit will do the trick. I wish they had an adjustment on one of the pulleys so I wouldn't have to do this all over again. Calls for belt number 954-04331. That's whats coming tomorrow morning.

Filer

Threads
I just finished putting the lower drive belt on a Troy Belt TB30R I bought a 1/2"X 34" belt and it was too loose. Then I tried a 1/2"X32" belt and it was too tight. A 1/2"X33" belt works just right.

Rural King has sells the belts in graduations of an inch for about $6 each.

It can be a pain the first time, but after doing it three times it makes sense.

By the way, the main pulley on the engine shaft has to be loosened and pulled down low enough to clear the belt guards. There's no way to either get the old belt off or the new one on without removing the nut that holds the pulley on and pulling it down enough for the belt to clear the guards.