Troy Bilt TB30R Transmission drive belt replacement?

Mower King

Threads
  • / Troy Bilt TB30R Transmission drive belt replacement?
W

Which part of the repair will I need the second set of hands for? I’ve got the deck off and the mower on jack stands already.
You'll have get ask Rivets about the extra set of hands deal.....................

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I just over think things when I don’t know the ability of the poster. Many times the extra body is needed by those with limited ability or just extra eyes if a problem comes along. It’s also nice to have someone to celebrate with when everything goes right.

4Corners

Threads
I just over think things when I don’t know the ability of the poster. Many times the extra body is needed by those with limited ability or just extra eyes if a problem comes along. It’s also nice to have someone to celebrate with when everything goes right.

Love it Rivets! We'll all celebrate if I can accomplish this. Thanks!

4Corners

Threads
Looks like I'm gonna need more than just a schematic to fully understand what needs to come off (besides the deck) and the path of the belt. For instance, do you have to remove any of the actual pulleys in order to get the belts on and off? I'm pretty good with home repairs when I can see a video of the work. Not so much when working off of just a schematic. And I can't find a video of this belt replacement anywhere.

4Corners

Threads
Actually I think this schematic might be more helpful to the way my brain works. It shows the actual path of the belt in place:

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 11.17.04 AM.png

4Corners

Threads
Where the belt shows with little bump out, that's where it's going around the top of the engine pulley - right? It looks like I need to remove or loosen the engine pulley to get the belt around it, and I also need to loosen the V idler pulley to get it past the guard there. Replacing the other belt is a breeze comparatively.Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 12.56.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-08 at 12.56.22 PM.png

Last edited:

4Corners

Threads
Yes, I can see it going around the top of the engine pulley in this image:

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 1.05.51 PM.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You shouldn’t hav e to remove any pulleys, just loosen the assembly I talked about. You are not looking at the engine, just the tranny assembly.

4Corners

Threads
I loosened that assembly and got the belt through there. How do I get it around the top of the engine pulley? (part 39 in the last diagram). And [past the guard on the idler pulley (part 36)?

Mower King

Threads
I loosened that assembly and got the belt through there. How do I get it around the top of the engine pulley? (part 39 in the last diagram). And [past the guard on the idler pulley (part 36)?
It's all bolted together and will come apart if enough bolts are taken out, just put it back the same way (unless it was screwed up to begin with)......left to loosen, right to tighten!