Troy Bilt Pony - starter won't engage

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had this boat battery I let discharge once too often. After several weeks of charging and recharging it finally held 12.5V. even the cells showed the right specific gravity. Then I hooked it up and hit the start button. Dropped to about 5V. Once dead always dead. I learned that in college when I had a dead battery in my car and bought all those special fixes at the FLAPS. None worked but replacing the battery got it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have recovered several batteries using my 60W solar panel that even a regular could not recover. But the battery is in freezing weather and discharged then it can freeze and damage the internal plates.

Now most lawn mower batteries are usually just good for a couple years then you are on borrowed time afterwards.

Gord Baker

Threads
Hook a volt meter to the battery or hook some jumpers off you car
Engine sips fine = bad battery
Volts drop below 10V = bad battery
Never charge a small battery off a running vehicle. Stator will burn up
It would be helpful if those asking for help would give all info. Does the starter Turn but not engage? Does the solenoid 'click'?Did you check and clean battery, solenoid and Starter motor terminals?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It would be helpful if those asking for help would give all info. Does the starter Turn but not engage? Does the solenoid 'click'?Did you check and clean battery, solenoid and Starter motor terminals?
Total rubbish for small engines and most older cars
Problem with modern fuel injected engines because the EEC gets weird signals from the electrical system
Starters burn up because they are cranked for too long or cranked at too LOW a voltage
Cranking one from a running engine which is putting out 14 V will actually cause the starter to use less amps and turn a bit quicker .

Common ploy for starting a rebuilt engine or one that has boiled & won't start was to toss a 6V battery in series with the starter so it cranked with 18V

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually no. What burns up the stator is jumping a near dead battery and then the stator needs to put out max amperage for an extended period of time that overheats the stator. Charging systems on these engines are not designed to charge a dead battery. If the battery is very low on charge you should charge the battery to the point it will start the engine. Not jumping it to start it and letting the engine charge the battery. For the stator to be affected by energy from another vehicle the energy must go back through the voltage regulator or diode.

marionr26

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could it be the starter selenoid

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Common ploy for starting a rebuilt engine or one that has boiled & won't start was to toss a 6V battery in series with the starter so it cranked with 18V
When we retrofit 6 volt tractors to 12 volt we leave the 6 volt starter and run it on 12 volts. They work just fine.