Troy-Bilt Horse riding lawn mower, Kohler engine question

Douglas Lee

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy-Bilt Horse riding lawn mower, Kohler engine question
Hello All,
I picked up an abandon Troy-Bilt Horse riding lawn mower with a Kohler Courage sv720 v-twin 23 hp engine.
In an effort to get it running I did a cylinder leak down test, adjusted the valves, replaced one ignition module,
changed the oil and oil filter, fresh air cleaner, fresh fuel filter . . . when I got it started I let it run for about 10 min.
while checking the alternator output . . . all looks / sounds good.
My question is how much oil reaches the top end of the engine in the rocker arm / valve spring area under the valve covers, the number 2 cylinder seems to be a whole lot drier then the number 1 cylinder.
. . . there is some evidence of oil on that side, but a whole lot drier than the other side . . .
Also, no accumulation of oil on the lower portion of the head/ valve cover area in the low spot below the rocker arms,
seems to me that the low area of the cylinder head would accumulate about a cup of oil before it was high/deep enough to flow back to the sump. What am I missing?
Any information will be helpful . . .

Thanks,
Douglas Lee

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Seems strange that number 2 would be drier than number 1 since it sits lower on the blow, unless you are confusing the two cylinders. Anyway back to the original question. The rocker valve area is lubed by splash oil vapor. Nothing gets pumped into the valve area so there will be very little oil accumulation at any given time. Maybe an ounce or so in the bottom of the cavity that runs out if the cover is removed. Can vary depending on sump oil level and how level the the mower is sitting when the covers are removed.

Douglas Lee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok,
When standing in front of the machine, ( carburetor end) the cylinder on the right is the one in question.
Maybe I have the cylinders incorrectly named.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Doug Lee

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And note a cup of oil is 8 oz. Most coffee cups holds 6-10 oz. Mine holds a max of 10 oz. with 8 oz where it don't spill.

Douglas Lee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Star Tech,
I don't understand your comment?

As stated in my original post, I have no accumulation of oil in the lower portion of the
head / valve cover area in the low spot formed by the cylinder head and the valve cover
when assembled, seems to me that the low area of the cylinder head would accumulate
about a cup of oil before it was high/deep enough to flow back to the sump.
Just threw that in because the low area between the head and the valve cover has no way
to drain back to the sump other then when that area fills up with oil and overflows back
to the sump parallel and below the exhaust valve push rod.
Thanks,
Doug Lee

Last edited:

kbowley

Threads
I wouldn't worry about it in the least. It is just the way the oil is being splashed, if it gets some oil, it'll be fine. Run it.

Douglas Lee

Forum Newbie
Threads
kbowley,
Thanks for the reply, I thought about that, but didn't want goof it up!
Doug Lee

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I agree. Run it. There really isn't that can fail that would stop oil from getting to that area. Like ILENGINE said, it lubes through vapor mist. And if it helps. #1 cylinder is the one closest to the flywheel.

Douglas Lee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks all for the responses.
Just wanted to understand it . . .
Doug Lee