Troy-Bilt carb advice/parts?

AndyK

Threads
Local mower shop told me they couldn't get parts for my machine. Troy-Bilt model 31AM2P5B711 Motor says SN: 370-SUB0906052A1206 (I can't really tell what kind of engine this is.)

This started with the machine leaking gas, took carb off, cleaned, used gasket sealer, put back together and the only way this will keep running is to constantly hit the primer bulb.
Do I need a carburetor kit? Where would I get one? Should I give up?

Thanks much for any advice!!!
Andy

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take a pic of your engine and post it here.
Why did you use gasket sealer? If it is a standard bowl carb, remove the nut on the bottom and look at it. If you see little holes in the threads of it at top, clean them all out the best you can, and reinstall, and try it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all get a new repair shop. Either the one you went to either has no idea of what they are doing or have never worked on any MTD equipment. Personally I think both are true, with an emphasis on the first one. From the numbers you supplied you have a 2009 Troy-Bilt Squall 21" Snow Thrower.
A new carb is available, MTD part number 951-14026A. If you can find a better repair shop or repair mechanic the major carb overhaul kit is available, MTD part number 951-12788A. I repeat, RUN VERY FAST from that other place.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
first of all, check your engine oil level, be sure it isn't over the Full mark or smells like gasoline.
it appears to use a Honda or Chinese honda clone engine...
Carb: https://www.partstree.com/parts/troy-bilt-951-10638/
Carb rebuild kit: https://www.partstree.com/parts/troy-bilt-951-11021/

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Scrub, can you tell me where the two of us came up with different part numbers. I used partstree also. 2008 and 2009 use the same carb.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
part numbers were superseded

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Gotcha, I just blank out and never check old numbers when I see a superseded number. Thank you.

AndyK

Threads
Thanks everyone for the help - really appreciate it!!! Took carburetor apart (again), took out small screw inside, cleaned everything (again) put it back together, same results. Did check the oil level and it was way overfilled and seemed thin. Not sure what this means. It started again right away but I have to keep pushing the primer to keep it going. Next steps? This machine is so old that I don't want to spend too much on it. Again, thanks so much for the help!!