Trimmer Brands???

X-man

Threads
I agree I had both of them an it took you like 1000 pulls :laughing:

Never buy a cheap-*** brand like Weed Eater. One of my push mowers is a Weed Eater, takes almost 10 pulls before it even thinks about turning over :mur:. Only has 8 hours on it. :rolleyes:

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a 27cc Cub Cadet last August from Tractor Supply. It is the split pole type that allows various things besides just the string head on it. I ran many tanks of gas through it last summer. Then used the pole saw, hedge trimmers, edger, brush blade, and even the cultivator head on it through the winter. It had been such a good and trouble free machine that I bought a second one just like it as a back up. About 6 weeks ago it started having problems and would to run right. I understood up front hat it was not under warranty because we run it commercial. I took it to Tractor Supply where they said the mechanic who fixed their warranty stuff would take a look at it. It stayed there three weeks. One day they called and said it was ready. All it supposedly needed was the carburetor adjusted. I picked it up and it did to run right. I took it to another guy locally that has a small engine shop. He cleaned the carb out and said it was good to go. It did not run just right but it did run. After a few minutes it started running weaker and weaker and then quit. I carried it back to the mechanic and he checked the compression on it nd the motor is gone. We are still running the other Cub Cadet as a back up but have since bought a Stihl.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If we make it the rest of the summer with the Cub Cadet as a back up we will probably buy either another Stihl or possibly Shindiawa.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never buy a cheap-*** brand like Weed Eater. One of my push mowers is a Weed Eater, takes almost 10 pulls before it even thinks about turning over :mur:. Only has 8 hours on it. :rolleyes:

We have a weed eater push mower that we run all the time to cut small places or sometimes even to trim. We bout it at a yard sale for little of nothing. It always starts first or second pull and has had no problems.

LawnBoy97

Threads
I've used an MTD, Sears "Pro", and now a Kawasaki. I would list it as 1.Kawasaki 2.Sears Craftsman "Pro" 3.MTD

The MTD was just crappy, but the 10 year old Crafstman "Pro" was actually pretty good, I just had issues with it flooding a lot. The Kawasaki is great, though. It seems to get too hot around the muffler, like they should have put some of that silver insulation there, because it is very easy to touch your arm to it while trimming. Otherwise it is great, great on gas (I had maybe an 1/8th of a cup? in it and I was surprised how long I was able to trim), starts easily, lightweight, and powerful. It is VERY loud, but there is no reason to not wear earplugs, so I don't see any major issues with noise.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
When i started a few years back (not dating myself), i used a weed eater brand string trimmer and push mower. It's all i could afford and i wasn't using them all day 5-6 days a week. As i grew i swapped (bought one at a time) for stihl hand tools. I thought stihl was the end all be all "never using anything but stihl" lol. Then the local mower shop where we buy our equipment lent me an echo string trimmer. It was impressive, easy to load head didnt break line in the head, started first pull, even now we pump the bulb once a day and choke once a day with all my echo equipment. I've since switched all my hand tools except chainsaws to echo. My employees prefer the echos as well, and thats important to me. The echo back pack blowers will out blow our old stihls all day to. Also echo just bought shindiawa this year FYI, not sure what will become of it.

So, for a one man operation i say use what you can afford, and like. As you grow don't be afraid to demo other brands, see what works best for your operation. It's kinda like the chevy or ford argument, use what works best for you.

Threads
When i started a few years back (not dating myself), i used a weed eater brand string trimmer and push mower. It's all i could afford and i wasn't using them all day 5-6 days a week. As i grew i swapped (bought one at a time) for stihl hand tools. I thought stihl was the end all be all "never using anything but stihl" lol. Then the local mower shop where we buy our equipment lent me an echo string trimmer. It was impressive, easy to load head didnt break line in the head, started first pull, even now we pump the bulb once a day and choke once a day with all my echo equipment. I've since switched all my hand tools except chainsaws to echo. My employees prefer the echos as well, and thats important to me. The echo back pack blowers will out blow our old stihls all day to. Also echo just bought shindiawa this year FYI, not sure what will become of it.

So, for a one man operation i say use what you can afford, and like. As you grow don't be afraid to demo other brands, see what works best for your operation. It's kinda like the chevy or ford argument, use what works best for you.

I like Echo, too. :thumbsup:

echo equipment.jpg

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Mid TN Lawn

Threads
FYI Echo did not buy Shindaiwa this year or any year. Echo, Shindaiwa and Kioritz are subsidiaries owned by the Yamabiko Group out of Japan. Shindaiwa was moved into the same plant as echo so there made here in the USA in the same place. http://lawncare.forumsmotion.com/t436-yamabiko-group#829

Reguardless they are now the same company and discussion was made about dropping shindaiwa line initially but have decided to continue both lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

What are all the blowers you are using???