Trans fluid

smalltimerpm

Threads
Just wondering if there is a fluid type in comparison or any other I could use then the hydro gear part# 72751 for transmissions. Also wondering weight of fluid.

smalltimerpm

Threads
20w50 motor oil or 15w50 syn? I'm just having an issue between cub and hydro gear to what the correct fluid is and the correct way to fill. Especially on the internal tank trans. Hydro gear states not to pull the plug in clear sight,which would be the internal tank side, due to you might misalign some situations in the trans. Cub will tell you to pull both plugs and fill using internal as a site glass. I just want to know if anyone knows actual correct procedure or had any experience with the updated zt trans. And I'm assuming the cub drive fluid system plus fluid will work for the weight specs? Last I knew if we mix weight of fluids we start having problems in some situations. I would really love to know what to fill and the correct way to do it.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can belend oils of different weights provided they are the same brand and style
The problem arises when mixing brands and types as some additive packages are not compatiable to othere
So you can mix any two ( or more ) Mobil 1 oils together without worry
But you might not be able to mix Mobil Super & Mobil 1

Now viscosities are climate specific
If you push snow then go for the 15W50 or even a 10W50
If you only mow then 20W50
If you mow in Texas or Arizonia then even a 20W60 would not be a problem.
Cub & JD both specify a wider viscosity range so they can use a single oil in everything from Alaska through Utah & right down to Florida
As hydros wear I have been known to use Harley 40W 70 oil in order to squueeze a few more seasons out of a mower that is not worth doing a $ 700 tranny repair .

Hydros are the one place where a synthetic oil is actually worth the extra money in a mower

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just which particular Hydro Gear units you have? That way we refer to the Hydro Gear SMs. So far all we got the PN of the oil you asked about.

smalltimerpm

Threads
You can belend oils of different weights provided they are the same brand and style
The problem arises when mixing brands and types as some additive packages are not compatiable to othere
So you can mix any two ( or more ) Mobil 1 oils together without worry
But you might not be able to mix Mobil Super & Mobil 1

Now viscosities are climate specific
If you push snow then go for the 15W50 or even a 10W50
If you only mow then 20W50
If you mow in Texas or Arizonia then even a 20W60 would not be a problem.
Cub & JD both specify a wider viscosity range so they can use a single oil in everything from Alaska through Utah & right down to Florida
As hydros wear I have been known to use Harley 40W 70 oil in order to squueeze a few more seasons out of a mower that is not worth doing a $ 700 tranny repair .

Hydros are the one place where a synthetic oil is actually worth the extra money in a mower
Thanks bert

smalltimerpm

Threads
Just which particular Hydro Gear units you have? That way we refer to the Hydro Gear SMs. So far all we got the PN of the oil you asked about.
I was mainly refering to the zt2800 which are in the ZT2 and some ZT3 models of cub

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The ZT2800 SM has the oil spec'd at 20W50 Dino oil
1681081360196.png

daman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Star. So it wouldn't be a good idea to use a cub drive fluid? I would have to stick with Dino fluid or drain the whole system and replace with any brand 20w50.
You're overthinking this, just grab some mobil 1 15w50 and go with it, or a 20W50, I have over 500hrs on the 15w50 transmission works like new yet. I recommend a synthetic because of the heat generated.