Trans Cross brace broke. Anyone else?

577jersey

Threads
Sounds like a saga lol.
My upgrade brace only cost me 50 bucks.Got 425 hours on her and she's kickin chickin?

SidecarFlip

Threads
bjo6DWF.jpg

fqiOO3o.jpg

ADwtir0.jpg

M8N1oMs.jpg

xzCmk8C.jpg

Time for some putty knife work, I'd say........:laughing:

mhavanti

Threads
EDL,

Get some grade eight bolts, make sure the bolts are sufficiently long enough so that the shoulders slightly protrude thru the frame, hydro and any other item they pass through. Using a heavy flat washer under the head and between the nuts and the other brackets. Tighten to specs for the size bolts in a grade 8. Double nut or place a lock nut on the bolts and your problems are cured.

Max

mhavanti

Threads
Sidecar,

That is some serious ground clearance when working under the mower. I'm lovin' it.

By the way, that clutch cover I mentioned earlier in this thread really makes the rear of the mower much more stiff. I can't say it actually does anything to provide any kind of safety for the clutch.

Glad to see you've been using that SD like it was meant to be.

Max

clubairth

Threads
Just ordered the clutch cover #120838.

Looks like an additional brace for the rear.
Thanks again to the forum for more great information!
I only have 144Hr on my 2015 54SD.

mhavanti

Threads
clubairth,

You'll see just how much stiffer that rascal is once you've installed it. Be sure to use longer grade eight bolts, thick grade eight washers and nuts. Either use a chisel and cross strike one side of the nut to make it a lock nut or double nut the bolts. You'll be done tightening at that point.

Go by this youtube channel for some other upgrades you may want to do or see some ideas for later down the road. Maxs Garaj Mahal

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKGtOepm7R0526XE2HPZUDg

Hope you'll subscribe and hit the notifications bell to see the new videos coming out on your mower.

Good luck with the clutch cover.

Max

John Fitzgerald

Threads
I stopped by Lowes today for some plumbing parts and saw a new 60" Raptor SD they had out front. I looked underneath and saw that it had the new design trans cross brace and the clutch cover. The frame looks somewhat less substantial than my Fastrak frame.

mhavanti

Threads
Glad to new purchasers will have the upgrades. The mowers are lighter than the Fastraks for sure.

EDL

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got a reply back from Hustler. They gave me a case # and said to call the local dealer/repair shop and they would "help with the repair." Not sure what that means. The shop said to email them all the info and they will call Hustler and find out.

So, we'll see what happens next...

It might be a case where they'll cover the part, but not labor, or who knows (since mower is out of warranty). I should know tomorrow.

EDL

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I spoke with my nearest dealer here's the deal:

Hustler said if the mower is less than 90 days out of warranty, they will cover the part and labor. If it is more than 90 days out of warranty, then they would only supply the part and I have to pay labor.

My mower is definitely more than 90 days out of warranty (4 years old, but only 113 hours on it). Given the hourly rate for labor, as quoted by the dealer and his estimated time to perform the work, plus the cost of gas to take it over (it's not close by), return home, then go back to pick it up (not including my time), this saves me nothing.

I replied back to the Hustler guy that given the circumstances, I'd prefer they just send me the part as I am totally capable of doing the replacement myself (and will also give me the opportunity to replace the grade 5 bolts in the kit with grade 8). It's been 3 days and no reply back from Hustler.

The wife and I have had to, yet again, mow a lot of yard with a dang push mower.

If Hustler won't send me the part, then I'll buy it, fix the mower, then sell the damn thing and get another...and it won't be another Hustler. This is ridiculous. That part should have been a recall, no question. I mean, if Chevy or Ford has vehicles breaking transmission mounts and dropping them on the road, you can bet there'd be a recall with the fix at no charge...regardless of warranty status!