Towing on trailer

jakesmurray

Threads
I have a murray tractor style rider with a manual transaxle. When I have it on the trailer, I set the park brake and leave it in neutral. Well, it slips to the back of the trailer. I tried to tighten the brake up, but it still does it. I guess the pad is worn. I was wondering if I could just put it in a gear to make it not move? Is this bad for the tranny? Thanks

Mtn.Mike

Threads
I always secure my tractor with ratchet straps. One in the front of the tractor and one in the rear. They keep the tractor in place without using the brake.
They can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowes or Tractor Supply.

Mike

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a murray tractor style rider with a manual transaxle. When I have it on the trailer, I set the park brake and leave it in neutral. Well, it slips to the back of the trailer. I tried to tighten the brake up, but it still does it. I guess the pad is worn. I was wondering if I could just put it in a gear to make it not move? Is this bad for the tranny? Thanks

I had the same problem with my 36" walk behind, just using the brakes was a waste of time. It has a peerless 5 speed and I put the thing in first gear and it stays put and never hurt anything. Another thing that may help hold it would be to lower the deck so it's resting on the floor boards. Tie down straps are another alternative.

jakesmurray

Threads
Ok, the murray also has a 5 speed peerless. I may just put in first gear to keep it in place. Thanks for the advice guys...:smile:

possum

Threads
In my enclosed trailer my rider will walk no matter what brake or gear, but it goes to the side and wedges against the wall of the trailer. I cut some boards and set them between the side of the trailer and the tires. Straps are a good idea. Last year I know of several mowers that bounced out of open trailers. This spring the crowd that takes pictures of forclosed property then mows and takes more pictures lost two pushers in one day between the dozen or so of them.

jimrs

Threads
If you check in most states A unsecured load is against the law, It's also a federal law. Any damage in an accident would your fault.

Never tow with an unsecured load on your trailer or in the bed of your truck.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
When my trailer gets to a job and a mower has moved to one side of the trailer then I know my driver has been in to much of a hurry and not thinking that how he drives is not good for the trailer the truck or anything on the trailer. It's easy don't take off fast don't slam on the brakes watch for pot holes don't hit the curb and don't slide around turns. And always lower the deck down.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Threads
It has been mentioned before, but its worth repeating. I put it in gear but ALWAYS use straps. Its a small price to pay but it is worth it. I like using motorcycle straps because they are easy and fast. I always use 2 in front and 2 in back. This prevents the mower from going sideways. It is the law in most states.