Repairs Totally stumped

jstyche

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mowing along quite nicely with my HRZ216 when on a hot day it died. I thought I was out of gas. I should be so lucky. I was half full. Restarted mower. It runs a bout 30 seconds and dies. Okay time to check fuel supply to engine. Blew out the fuel lines and Shut off valve, pulled the carburetor and checked the float and bowl, and blew out the inlet. Fuel starvation is not a problem. Replaced the electronic module. Symptoms remain the same. Runs for 30 seconds and dies. Engine has oil. HELP!!:confused2:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A partially plugged gas line will slowly allow the fuel bowl to fill, but power demand will deplete the bowl reserve faster than the plugged line can supply it. Also fuel filter can plug. I once had stuff in a line that required a wire to clean out.

64vdub

Threads
I would say clean the carb bowl and Jet too.

jstyche

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would say clean the carb bowl and Jet too.
I removed and cleaned out the carb including the jet. I also blew out the fuel lines and shut off vale. This model has not fuel filter.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
After your 30 seconds of running how long before you have another 30 seconds of running? Are you getting a good flow of gas at the carburetor inlet? It sure sound like poor fuel flow? I find as a rule with ignition problems it will run or not run. When you changed the ignition module did you check for any bad wires or poor connections? The only two other things are timing and compression witch it doesn't sound like. One other thing you can try is isolate the engine and chassis.

jstyche

Forum Newbie
Threads
After your 30 seconds of running how long before you have another 30 seconds of running? Are you getting a good flow of gas at the carburetor inlet? It sure sound like poor fuel flow? I find as a rule with ignition problems it will run or not run. When you changed the ignition module did you check for any bad wires or poor connections? The only two other things are timing and compression witch it doesn't sound like. One other thing you can try is isolate the engine and chassis.
I agree on the fuel flow. I put 90 lbs. of air through the fuel hoses, and up through the inlet from the bowl side. I changed the module because it had been skipping a bit anyway. I've seen modules go on saws and when they do they mimic carb issues. It really ticks you off. I once spent over an hour screwing with a carb on a saw when the module totally died and the saw started misfiring. Put in a new module and the saw ran great. Back to my problem It has to be fuel delivery related. By the way the mower starts right up and runs 30 seconds every time. It makes me crazy:confused2:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fuel hose is cheap, replace it. When you replace the hoses look for a blockage in the fuel tank. Also make sure you don't have a plugged exhaust system, but with a plugged exhaust system I find it just runs bad.