Export thread

Toro Z Master Z147 74176

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

Hi I have a Toro Z master Z147 44" zero turn model 74176 I paid $400 for it out of sombodys scrap pile. I got it all running at everything, but now it's leeking oil A LOT. It seems to be leeking from the very bottom of the engine under the OHV by the oil filter Bu only while its running ,but I can't find where it's coming from Is there some plug or something Maybe a drain plug that's not tight? Thanks

Maybe that was why it was in scrap pile. Anyhow, need more info, what engine #'s are on it & etc ?

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

FH500V-DS10 kawasaki v twin OHV 17.0 hp

R

Rivets

My guess it is either the valve cover gasket or head gasket.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

Its leeking from under the valve cover thing --that thing that the spark plug is in?

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

How hard is it to replace those gasgets?

R

Rivets

Sorry, now you have got me sucked in. If you have to ask that question, you should never have tried to save that piece of equipment. For me to change those gaskets, about 1-1 1/2 hours, if you have never done it before, only time will tell. Can this be done by a beginner? Yes, If they have the manual and the right tools. Have you tried to find a manual for that engine or look for a U-tube video on how to do it, or did you just expect someone here to give you are magic wrench?

B

bertsmobile1

degrease the engine thoroughly and blow dry.

Dust with spray on talcum powder till you get a nice white cost all around where you think the oil is coming from.
Run the engine for a minute or two.
The oil will leave a nice dark wet mark in the nice white powder.
Take some photos of it then post them so we can all have a gekko .
We will then advice you further.
It is not a difficult nor tricky job to do a full set of gaskets but if ou never done it before it will take you all weekend or two depending upon what tools you have and what sort of mechanical aptitude you have.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

ok I will do that and post a pic I am pretty good at fixing mowers so i think I casn to it i just dont now how

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

to do the gasgets to you have to take apart he enine?

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

I have the manuel.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

the ohv seal is torn. would that be somthing? if it is where do i get the seal

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

also different problem how wold i tell if a solenoid is bad. i think i shorted it out i can jump it with a screw driver and it starts right up but nothing at the key?? would that be the solenoid?/ thanks still working on the pics. have to get some talcum powder first.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

OK im pretty sure its one of the gasgets i put the powder and it seems to be coming from either the head gasgets or the other one (forgot what its called)

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

its coming from where the two heads meat skirting out real bad in several places. what is that gasget called.

B

bertsmobile1

Photo is needed here.
Sounds like the block might be cracked in which case the engine is a write off.
Some times you can get away with some JB weld or Devcon on an engine crack & some times you don't.

You test the solenoid by energising the trigger .
If there is 1 small terminal then run a jump from the battery - to the body of the solenoid ( a metal bit ) and then a jumper from the + to the small terminal .
If there are 2 small wires, they can be connected to the battery either way they are not polarity sensative but remove the wires first as one might be earthed through the loom.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

how do i post a pic?

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

what exactly do you want a pic of?

B

bertsmobile1

The place where the oil is seeping through the powder you put on to identify the location of the leak.
If you can not remember the name of the parts you will need to post a lot of photos so we can see what you are talking about otherwise it will be a case of the blind leading the blind.

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

I will take the tires off so you can see beter what i am talking about

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

OK, I got the engine off and have it mounted on the workbench I got all the bolts from the crangase to the head and its not wanting to come apart are there any bolts or something I missed?

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

I got the crankase cover off and the crankcase gasket was torn right where it was leeking from. So I just bought a new one and I will put it on and the see if that was the leek:)

;0

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

It was pretty easy to do

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

OK, I got the engine off and have it mounted on the workbench I got all the bolts from the crangase to the head and its not wanting to come apart are there any bolts or something I missed?

Never mind^^^