Toro WheelHorse Rider question

DPG

Threads
Got a question about A Toro Rider. When I go to put the blades back on it (2) one of the shafts the screw goes into doesn't screw down tightly. It's stripped, it'll grab some but then when I go too tightly it just loosens up again. I believe it's grabbing enough to hold the blade in place but probably barely that. What's the fix for this? Does the "Shaft" have to be replaced? I only have basic mechanical knowledge (and tools for that matter.) Is this something I should attempt myself or have a shop tackle it? Thanks!!

timtractor

Threads
I would say you will have to take the deck off and use a tap and die set and thread the shaft to the next size bigger bolt.

DPG

Threads
yikes thanks...Never had the deck off and don't own a tap and die set. :biggrin:

timtractor

Threads
The other options is to find a Heli Coil thread insert and go with the next size smaller bolt.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From how i read your post, I would recommend that you have a repair shop check the shaft. Tapping to a larger size or using a Heli-coil is not something I would recommend on a spindle shaft for safety reasons. It would never go out of the shop or my garage that way, even though I have the tools and know-how to do it. I know that it may be cheaper, but what is the cost of an accident?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
A Heli Coil thread would be safe to use as long as you can toque it to the proper foot lbs. The onlt problim is that the last heli coil kit I bought was over 40 dollars. It might just be cheaper to have a shop do it that already has a kit.

DPG

Threads
I've continued to use the mower just tightening that blade till it "catches" but it isn't as tight as I'd like it. I was going to do something (shop) after the season. Should I not wait and do it NOW???:frown:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just my opinion, but I would shop now. Could get an end of season deal. Safety overpowers price.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got to agree with rivets. Id never helicoil a spindle shaft.
I may try and repair the threads with a tap but experience and judgment would decide if its safe.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Got to agree with rivets. Id never helicoil a spindle shaft.
I may try and repair the threads with a tap but experience and judgment would decide if its safe.

What is so bad about a properly installed helicoil? I have never had one pull out. You are putting new threads into new steel and if you can retoque your bolt to proper ft lbs. I really can't see a problem. Sure has to be a lot better then trying to tighten striped out threads. Personally if it was mine or a repair job of mine it would get a new or a good used shaft and new bearings. I use helicoils only as a last resort but do use them like on some older equment I can't find parts for anymore.